Sunday, August 27, 2006

Sunday

Today I went into work for 4 hours. Then I went and had my ring resized again. I also talked to them about mothers rings since that’s what Dave’s mom wants for a gift. I can’t believe she’d ask for such an expensive gift but I decided to ask while I was there. I ended up killing enough time that it was ready. They tell you three hours. I didn’t want to have to leave and come back. It was ready after an hour.

Then I came home, cleaned the kitchen, did laundry, and cooked dinner. I invited my parents over for hot dogs and hamburgers and roasted potatoes. Earlier in the week I originally wanted to have work people over. But then I knew I was so busy I wouldn’t have time to clean for them since they’ve never been here, I thought it should look nice. So then I invited my parents over. Originally I told them 1. but then I changed it to come at 5. Next time I’m cooking, I’m not going to do laundry at the same time. It wasn’t any fun. I got my dad a birthday cake. I only thought of it yesterday. He said he guessed I’d have a cake. I asked how he knew when I didn’t. He said he thought that’s why I invited them over so close to his birthday. I bet if I didn’t have a cake he’d be disappointed. Dave isn’t a big fan of cake and I eat like a bird so I saved me a piece and sent the rest of the cake home with them. It was three layers. 2 of chocolate and 1 of yellow. I only like yellow anyway. I didn’t order it in advance and my dad likes fudge icing. That was the most yellow I could get and have fudge icing. It was the hugs and kisses one so it had the white icing too in stripes. They stayed for a few hours and talked. While my mom was here she wanted to check her e-mail. I was downstairs talking to my dad. After about 20 minutes I wondered what she was doing. Finally she came down and said she looked at her church website and learned stuff looked so different on my computer so she started updating her website. I was telling my dad about how Westinghouse does things. He was surprised we get paid straight overtime once we finish our “casual overtime.” But he was also surprised we don’t document how much time we actually work a week. I said we only put down 40 hours unless we get our special permission to put down OT.

A new guy started in my group to replace the girl that quit at the beginning of July. So he didn’t even apply with Westinghouse until July. Then he had 2 interviews and was given an offer all within 2 weeks. Then he started 2 weeks after that. That’s all the time the background check took. He was surprised at how long I took. He graduated from Pitt this past May.

So my mom’s van has kind of been in the shop since April 20. She had it back for a little while while she waited for a part. It used to be drivable. The mechanic keeps putting new parts in and making it worse. Now it’s not even drivable. He has to take it to Kenny Ross Ford for something since he messed up. He has to have it towed there. My mom is hoping to have it this week. If not she said she’ll just have to quit her part time crossing guard job. She said they can’t afford a new car now. My mom feels awful borrowing my car. We can make due with 1 car. But Dave never works Overtime so if I ever want to I have to know in advance and drive separately. He won’t really stay late (he’s ahead of schedule with his work). He also won’t come back and pick me up. I have a TON of work to finish in the next month. All for 1 project. I’m a little behind and we started it over a month late so we’re cramming a lot in. I’m also helping the new guy get all the training and everything he needs. I remember when I started having a million questions, so I’m trying to help and tell him things so he doesn’t have to go wondering for months like I did. Some new hire things it’s hard to know unless you just went through it.


should i post like this often?

2 comments:

  1. russsss (LiveJournal)September 1, 2006 at 2:31 PM

    What task are you working on at work right now? Or would it be too long to respond with the task, and easier to tell me some time in person?

    If your mom decides to get rid of the van, pull the AC system out of it and put it in the next vehicle. That AC got so cold in that van.

    ReplyDelete
  2. smilincolleen (LiveJournal)September 1, 2006 at 9:21 PM

    i'm working on tube ruputure calculations in lofttr2 (a westinghouse code). the plant is changing conditions and needs a new report.

    ReplyDelete