Friday, October 15, 2010

Where my fashion falls

This is where I think I fall with my fashion.  I'm an engineer, but I dress better or buy more or something than the engineers but I fall short from all the fashion bloggers.  They all know more, are able to put more things together, are able to get dressed without wondering if what they are wearing really matches.

At least I'm somewhere in the middle.

Starting to take my daily picture 5 years ago probably helped.  I have always had styles of clothes that I liked and wore. I'm just bad with what colors or patterns go together.  Most of what I own are solids. I say I'm trying to branch out but I am not trying that hard because most of what I buy is still solid.

At least I didn't wear a fanny pack to class everyday in college like the other female mechanical engineering student.

I would like to clarify that there are actually engineers at work who dress better than me and know more about fashion but I'm speaking on average or to the stereotype a bit.  My friends seem to all dress better. Maybe I'm drawn towards the people who can match and that's why all my friends fit outside the stereotypical engineer box.

When I started working a little over 4 years ago I think people dressed much worse in general. I'm not sure if they are actually dressing better of if I'm just getting used to it and my perception of what to wear to work is more accepting.  The guys are the main ones I'm thinking of year.

Maybe my circle should be a lot closer to the Engineer circle above. I mean I ask a lot about if something goes together but usually my instinct is right. But maybe not because a lot of engineers think they can match and then they wear weird things together.

Even if I have a "tip" to post about fashion I feel I'm under-qualified to state such a tip.

Do I just assume everyone knows what they are talking about more than I do? Are we all just making it up as we go? Do engineers really dress worse now or is it just a stereotype form 20 years ago when engineers dressed horribly?


(I've had this post written in draft form for a few weeks. I've just been too scared to post it. I guess I will post it now. )

7 comments:

  1. I didnt know you were an engineer! Thats cool. If you think your stuck in between the 2 why don't you step out of your comfort zone and buy something you would never usually buy but you know is in fashion now. Say a brightly patterned circle skirt. Its feminine and modest and very on trend. Or do a swap with a blogger, you will get stuff you would never have thought of buying? I would offer but unless you can wait till after christmas I fear I would not be able to fulfil it.

    And of course I will add you to my blog roll. Its no where near complete, it just takes ages to do and I have a massive list of blogs I like!

    Daisy Dayz Home
    Cross-Jones-Photography Home
    Daisy Dayz Day Zero Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently bought tights which are out of my comfort zone.

    I love belts but they are out of my comfort zone but I bought a bunch.

    I don't even know what a patterned circle skirt would look like. time to google images.

    So why is it cool that I'm an engineer? Just curious? like an engineer wouldn't have a fashion blog or that my writing is more like an engineer so it fits.

    Also I want more patterns. I also want colorful shoes. I don't know where people find things. Everything seems so boring when I go shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Colleen -
    I'm TOTALLY stereotyping here, so forgive me, but I'd imagine you probably do dress better than most engineers. I went to a school with a fairly large engineering program, and some of those kids...whooee! Haha, they were wearing jeans from the 80s, and I started college in '05!

    I do think you are much more analytical than a lot of other fashion bloggers - you do seem somewhat unsure of yourself. It probably does have to do with the part of your brain that is stronger - science/math and arts are different sides of the brain! I think this just makes your blog a bit more interesting - I almost like how much you analyze what "goes".

    I know I don't spend that much time figuring out what I wear - but I also plan all my outfits for the week on Sunday. I've also been influenced a lot by my mom who likes getting dressed and clothes and stuff.

    I agree with Chantele - if you want to mix it up a bit, just try going slightly outside of your comfort zone. I haven't been reading your blog very long, but you mentioned you bought tights to try them - I think it would be cute if you paired those black tights with the black boots from the other day (where you asked if you looked like a hooker ;) ), a black pencil skirt, and then that black dress you bought the other day and the new striped cardi. That long sleeved green top you have (the more mossy colored one) would look cute with a khaki skirt, brown boots, and a bright cardi (maybe yellow?). These are obviously just suggestions (and I'm not that familiar with your person style yet), but I think you would look cute in outfits like that!

    I hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for the suggestions. I wanted to try out tights on a weekend before wearing them to work but then also this week it got warm so then I wanted it to be "colder" or maybe I just got too scared to wear them.

    The bright red shoes used to be way out of my comfort zone. They are bright red and have a big bow. I wear them all the time. But then I get comments all the time on them at work so maybe I shouldn't step outside of my comfort zone. I just wish I had a life outside of work so I could try out new things.

    Are you saying a pencil skirt UNDER the dress from last week (the one I wore Sunday) with the cardi wore Saturday?

    I don't have a yellow cardi. I almost bought one last weekend but it was like WHOA gold and I wanted more yellow.

    Is the green "mossy" one one that I wore last week?

    I've mentioned to my friend (a non-engineer) that she should come over and show me how to remix different things in my closet. Like I always wear the same shirt with certain pants and I have no idea why. She said she would but we both got busy at different times and haven't yet. i asked my one other friend and she thought I was nuts and didn't want to do that.

    PS my husband bought me a book on color coordinating (that I tweeted about when at the bookstore last week) - this book http://plixi.com/p/49865392

    Also I think maybe in college females maybe cared less and dressed worse than now or maybe the could afford more now so they did more trial and error.

    ReplyDelete
  5. whoops, no, no pencil skirt under a dress - typo!

    I think it might be the one you wore last week - it has a bit of a cowl neck maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh gosh, engineers either dress terribly or safe and boring. you are deffinitely ahead of most engineers, i'd say. i also second guess myself, asking if things go together, and assuming other people have it all together and know what they're doing more than i do. i wonder if that's normal? i'm glad i share that with you, though!

    i think a fun way to branch out is to get some bold jewelry. big fun necklaces are the easiest to wear, and i feel add the most to an outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wear a ton of big necklaces.

    I'm also glad I'm not the only one that asks.

    ReplyDelete