Saturday, January 15, 2011

Calendar Site Evolution

For those of you interested in my calendar site, I thought I'd share it's evolution.

At first It started with a table where I listed what I wore and if I had a picture the date linked to the picture. It was all manual. Also I had pictures of individual things that I wore (like shoes).

Then I made what looks more like my calendar site now, but it was manual and I just kept adding rows to the table. When I got too many, I would create a new page.  When I did it this way, I could do 2 pictures for 1 day if I wanted. Also I could add text in the table and I randomly put my weight different days on there.

During all this time I had a journal but I never blogged about my clothes. I kept them separate and on colleen.akwire.net you could choose to look at clothes or choose to read about my life.
After that my husband said I needed something automatic, so he did it for me. What I have now is what he did. After a few years I did have him add the navigation between months at the bottom of the page, because sometimes I just like to look at what I wore randomly and go through all the months and I did not like scrolling back to the top.

When I first started doing it, I would crop a picture and save it. Then I would resize that photo to 100 pixels wide and save it.  Now I just crop and save and when I upload, my husband has a program that runs every 15 minutes to what is recently uploaded and creates a new size for the photo and it makes the small photo.
At one point I decided all pictures could be 150 wide, so he worked his magic and resized them all.

Twice I filled up my allotment on the server, so my husband resized the larger pictures to be a little smaller to take up less space. He made them be a little too small but I shouldn't complain because the server it's on is still a friend from college's server who I don't even talk to anymore. Jesse lived down the hall from me freshman year of college.

For those interested, the friend from college ran chewplastic.com (he doesn't have anything on the site now) and got sewed by the RIAA in 2003. He was interviewed a lot and was on TV and in magazines. He settled for $12,000 and got all of the money for the settlement via paypal donations on his site. I just googled and got his CNN transcript. Here are a few more things if you are interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment