Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Katy on Why I Run

Hi… it’s Katy from ModlyChic and Colleen asked me to guest post on why I run. To be honest I’ve never thought this out before, but I gave it some thought as I was loping on the treadmill today and here’s what I came up with:

I didn’t make the determined decision to begin running. In fact, I sorta fell into it. When I lived in New York City there was one winter that I spent weeks trying to find a pair of pants that fit correctly and when nothing worked I decided the problem wasn’t the pants it was me. A friend and I started eating healthier and eating less and I started walking everywhere. On my lunch break I would walk for 45 minutes. Whenever possible I would walk the 60 blocks home from work. I literally walked off extra weight I had been carrying.

But then I had down time on the weekends and walking seemed silly since there was no purpose to it. So I started to run around a pond in Central Park. The first time I attempted this run I didn’t even make it ¼ of the way around the .8-mile track. I was embarrassed. The next time I ran it I told myself I could go at least 10 steps further than the time before. And eventually I would loop it twice before heading home. When I moved to St. Louis I kept up the running, eventually trained for and ran the Chicago Marathon and then the St. Louis Half.  

So why run…
I run to stay sane. I found that the more stressed I was the more I needed to run. And while in St. Louis I had plenty to be stressed about – an impossible job search, starting my freelance career, clients who refused to pay, etc…

I run to prove I am stronger than I think. There is a certain triumph in pushing yourself to run an extra quarter mile or finish just a little faster than you started. There is also a good pride in outlasting the guy next to you on the treadmill or looping someone on a running path.

I run to check out. For me, running is not an amazing joyous experience. It is hard to do – still. But I have the ability to zone out everything around me and just fixate on something. Usually it’s an object infront of me or a TV screen. And when I latch on to that I don’t notice the people around me or how hard I’m breathing or the crazy day I’m facing.  (That ability got me through the Chicago Marathon, before running it I had only run 14 miles in training. Several people told me I’d never finish. But I zoned out and kept moving.)

I run to control my headaches. I suffer from daily migraines. It’s weird I know. Doctors can’t figure it out, but I’ve learned they are greatly reduced if I workout that day. I suppose that means I also run for my health.

I run because my family runs. My sister Emily was the first to run Chicago. My dad and I ran it with her the following year. Seven months later my dad, sister, two cousins and an uncle ran St. Louis. It’s created a bond between us that is completely irreplaceable.

Thanks Katy for writing this. Just reading this got me re-motivated to get back to running. My previous features are why Chrissy runs and why Christina runs.

7 comments:

  1. I'll add that this actually motivated me to run and I went out and did it. (I'll ignore the fact that I was hurting and quit early. But I will note that I kept working out after I got home with less knee impact stuff.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this series! This post just shows you never know far you can go unless you stick with something. Thanks for sharing Katy, and thanks for hosting Colleen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chrissy, you are the one that defined this series. I left it up to you and just told you a little of what I was interested in so you should get some of the credit (or all of it).
    Next week there will be another post too. I might need 1 a week to get through this marathon. My knee is still bothering me. I'm too scared to go to the doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post, Katy, and love the series idea Colleen! I am actually a very newbie runner, after being a proclaimed "runner hater" my entire life. I swam all the way through college, but then found that once I didn't have the team atmosphere in anymore I wasn't doing it. I needed to get back into something active, and since my roommate is a runner (and I am poor and running is free) I decided to give it a go. It has only been a month and I am already kind of addicted.

    Katy, I really loved this line: "I run to prove I am stronger than I think." That is EXACTLY how I feel! I love when I can push myself just that extra 2 minutes after I think I just can't go anymore. It is an exhilarating feeling.

    Ok, sorry for leaving practically a book, but I needed to say how much I loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura, no need to apologize for a long comment. I LOVE long comments so I rather enjoyed your comment. I'm glad you found running. It is great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for inviting me to contribute to this series. I love things like this. To be honest, I highly recommend running a half-marathon just to get the running bug. This whole sport wasn't nearly as much fun before I experienced what a marathon was like!
    Colleen - I'm glad to hear this got you running today! No pain no gain - I guess.
    Laura - I was the same, I never understood the reasons anyone would run just to run. But when you put that self-competition part in, everything changes.
    - Katy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Katy, I didn't actually run today but the day you sent me the article. I'm hoping to run tonight after we get our patio estimate. Just looking at these Why I run features keep me going. Perhaps I should write my own.

    Did you deal with injuries at all during your running journey?

    ReplyDelete