Saturday, April 23, 2011

Red Pencil Skirt - Shopping 4.22.11

I went to the mall with the intentions to look for so many things.  Dave wanted to go to eat lunch and go to the apple store.  Well he rushed me and stores didn't have what I was looking for.  I still have a long wish list but I finally got a pencil skirt.

I was shopping and saw The Limited and thought how I didn't remember the store being there. I have seen many fashion bloggers with great skirts from there. I have a strong desire for many pencil skirts. Pink, Red, Purple, patterned, more patterned, white, khaki... long list.   Well while I was shopping our table was ready so I had to hurry. I did try on a red pencil skirt so I got in line to buy it. I had intentions to return to the store and buy one of the many patterned skirts they had too. I never got back there though :( BTW I had intentions to buy a white pencil skirt for 2 years and just couldn't find one or find one that fit and now white is very popular so I HOPE I can get one in my next shopping trip. I saw them at Express. Does anyone have theirs? Does it wash well? 

I really wish I had looked into it before going. I wish I knew which skirts from which stores need to be ironed. At least I did not buy a dry clean only skirt but I'm worried it will require ironing since it got wrinkled in my bag.  Where do you buy pencil skirts? Which ones can be washed and dried (or washed and lay flat to dry) and not require you to iron them?   
I think I should start posting how things wash if I buy them in the current season, because I wish everyone else would tell me this.

Size 2
$59.50 (more expensive than a skirt ever but I have wanted a red pencil skirt for ages)
98% cotton, 2% spandex
lining: 100% Polyester
washable and dryable

Oh no. I have been hosed! The skirt is over $20 cheaper online... and the reviews mention wrinkly.  Too bad I don't return anything ever.

When I showed my new skirt to Dave he asked if I would be starting color blocking Monday now that I have it. I informed him that I did color blocking before I knew it was a thing or that it was popular. Then I went on to tell him I did it October 1 and June 26 or June 28. He told me I was crazy. I wasn't crazy for randomly remembering dates because I just checked and it was June 27 and October 1 so I was wrong.  But not too bad of a memory. Also I wore jeans the other day and said it was the third time I'd worn them. I said the first was February 3, 2006. We consulted my calendar site and I was right. Sometimes I scare myself.

While shopping, I also bought some stuff at Soma and Dave bought a MacBook Air. The lady selling the computer to Dave told him he could be more excited about it. Then she asked what he'd be using it for. His response was to sit around. Not a normal Mac user I guess.  Now I get a new laptop. By new I mean new to me but it's Dave's old one. It's over 2 years old but new to me.  It's also a Thickpad. How I've missed having one of those. Also blogging is so much easier with a bigger screen. Yay.

7 comments:

  1. I have an express pencil skirt, but it's black (and it's from the winter) and I LOVE it - it's lined and not too think but thick enough to really smooth everything out. I wash and line dry it, and I've never had to iron it, which I like.

    Pencil Skirts from the limited are really nice quality, but they really can't be machine washed (I think the tags usually say dry cleaning suggested) - since the quality is high, when you was them it messes up the seams and they get all out of wack that no amount of ironing will ever fix. It's not a deal breaker for me because most of my skirts are dry clean only, but if you want it to keep looking nice and don't want to dry clean it you might want to buck up and take it back.

    And yes, all pencil skirts from the limited wrinkle like nobody's business. it's annoying.

    A good way to check if something will wrinkle or not when you are in the score is to scrunch the fabric up with your hand and hold it for a few seconds (like in a fist). If there are wrinkles in it when you let it go, then the skirt will wrinkle. HTH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This skirt actually said it was washable and dry-able. Online it says so too.

    I told Angeline that wrinkle trick but didn't do it myself. My mom recently taught it to me for when she buys fabric. I was in a hurry so I didn't do my normal scrutiny.


    Also I have a black skirt (with ruffle at bottom) from Express and a gray one that wash and dry wonderfully. Then I have 2 other patterned skirts from there that are awful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great skirt! I too salivate over pencil skirts in all hues and textures. I love the ones at J.Crew, but most are dry clean only. And the color blocking thing? It peeves me that it's called a trend when I have been doing it since I was ten, or whenever my mom started letting me choose my own clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for getting a red pencil skirt AND a "new" laptop! Sounds like a productive day, for the most part. I want more pencil skirts too, I don't have many.

    Come take a look inside A Working Mom's Closet

    ReplyDelete
  5. From the Suns to the Moon... I did it before I knew it was color blocking too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melissa, Too bad I got hosed on the cost. But I didn't know what size I wore so I had to go to the store anyway I guess.

    I have many pencil skirts. 3 black, 2 patterned (black and white), 2 patterned from VS (black and white, sapphire and black), gray, gray pinstripe, tan (or brown or green or khaki depending on the light), khaki, striped (but a mini pencil), umm I guess that might be it. I want colorful patterns and colorful skirts in general. hard to find.

    ReplyDelete