Sunday, February 21, 2016

Pizza Soup Recipe

This is the 2nd time I've made the soup and a few things were different this time. It was so much better this time. 
1 can (14.5 oz) stewed tomatoes with Italian seasonings, undrained
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes with Italian seasonings, undrained
2 cups beef broth
1 small onion, chopped (I used less because I got sick of cutting and then used tastefully simple onion onion too)
1 can tomato sauce (Original recipe called for 1 tablespoon tomato paste)
salt and pepper (recipe says 1/4 tsp but who measures)
1/2 lb  italian sausage (We used pork. recipe suggested turkey)
(I left out 1 cup of sliced mushrooms this time)
shredded mozzarella
my additional ingredients not in the recipe
1 green pepper, cut slightly bigger than diced
1 red pepper, cut slightly bigger than diced
italian seasonings
4 oz of sliced pepperoni (cut into fourths)
Italian bread

Combine tomatoes with juice, broth, onion, peppers, sauce, salt, pepper, seasonings, pepperoni in crock pot.

Shape sausage into marble-sized balls.  Gently stir into soup mixture. (We did a lot of stirring because Ella helped.) Cover: cook on Low 6 to 7 hours.   (I was short on time so cooked on high for 2 hours then cooked on low for 3)

Toast Italian Bread.
Put soup in little bowls, put toast on top. Then put cheese on that. Put in the broiler until cheese is toasty.

This was even better the second day.  I wanted to do 2 green peppers but going to 2 stores I still only managed to find one green pepper that wasn't gross.  I would have rather had a log of pepperoni that I could cut thicker but I can't even seem to find that around here so I got pre-sliced pepperoni in a package.


Ella was so proud that she helped cook.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It was. I wished I had more but I know if next time I make a huge batch it won't be as good.

      Delete