Monday, October 26, 2009

school info

(this is the email i sent my mom and dave but i'm a big slacker so i'm not revising it)

Initially I was going to apply to CMU and Pitt. I thought Westinghouse would pay Pitt prices.

Well initially I was applying to CMU with basically no intention of going there. I thought it was too expensive and not worth it

based on this weekend a degree from CMU is well worth it over other schools especially if you want to leave the Pittsburgh area or leave your current company. and if you if i plan to stay at westinghouse I probably won't be promoted at all so it wouldn't be worth it.



CMU stuff

the small class size was good to hear

actually hearing about how everyone isn't out for themselves but that people actually help everyone out

that they do things (lots of clubs and social events) and not just school

The professors that we met seem really intelligent.

The course load is really intense (which is really good for learning)

since they have minis you get a lot of courses in (course is half the length of a semester so 4 Minis instead of 2 semesters)

wide variety of choices

lots of different concentrations (can actually have multiple concentrations)



the bad part is that there are no merit scholarships for part time.

I was told by someone in the admissions office that the GMAT and GPA average scores are very similar for part time and full (which scares me because my GMAT is low. but the one lady from the admissions department said to call her this week and she will go over my specifics compared to averages and provide suggestions (like if I should retake the GMAT or if I should do the optional essay or what I should mention in the optional essay)



the average starting salary in 2009 of CMU MBA graduations was about 100,000 (a little higher). (the range was like 50,000-143,000… I have these numbers written down but I'm going by memory) the median was 100,000 exactly. and that's lower than previous years due to the economy. plus 85% of people got signing bonuses that averaged over 20,000 bucks



Students who work part time, don't take full advantage of the on campus recruiting. if I plan to stay at Westinghouse after a degree, I bet I wouldn't even get any promotion at all so it's like I would have to leave.

so basically right now I think work won't pay at all or I won't stay long enough for it to matter after I'm done. so I don't even know if I can go or not or when. I may have to wait until Dave is done with his masters and we are screwed with that and he will have to pay 13,000 at least but maybe more. And we have probably about 95,000 in students loans as it is and this mortgage. there's no way we could do schooling for both of us and still live here. I still want to apply since the application fees aren't that much and see where it goes. Dave said I should apply to CMU for full time and then see from there what we should do. there are lost more decision things but I doubt you want to hear them. you can apply for full time and easily change to part time but you cannot apply for part time and easily change to full time.


I just looked up some numbers and Pitt starting salaries after MBA are about 40,000 less but who knows if that data is right .. and that was from a couple years ago according to the site.

i found part-time statistics
http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/rankings/part_time_mba_profiles/carnegiemellon.html
http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/rankings/part_time_mba_profiles/pittsburgh.html

No comments:

Post a Comment