Wednesday, April 18, 2012

2.5 miles (4.17.12) - Home Loop

Not too long ago, I ran the loop around my house and said next time I'd run it, I would do an 8:30 pace. Well I haven't run the full loop in ages. I did run a short segment of it about a month ago and beat 8:30 pace, but had yet to do the full loop. So yesterday I sought out to do that from the start.

Well not only did I meet 8:30 but I blew that out of the water. My old best time for the full loop was 8:33. I don't even think I ever beat 8 minutes on a shorter piece of the loop.

This got me thinking that if I keep up that pace in the 5k I will run it in 24:42 and we all know that we run in a race faster than in a training run.  I'm excited. Last time I ran the 5k in my neighborhood was 2 years ago and my time was 25:59.   I want a new PR. I think I can do it. I will just have to make sure I run the loop a little more so I get used to it.  The hill at the end is a bit tough. Also now that I have a Garmin I will know a spectator is full of it when he tells me only a quarter mile to go. Last time I mapped it out after and I had a half mile to go when he said quarter mile. No wonder I died last time before I hit the end.

Now I have a new goal each time I run my home loop. I'm not sure I like such a fast goal. Usually I add some little side housing plans to make the loop over 3 miles. It would have been harder to sustain it that long.  I guess I'll have to try it out next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment