Monday, July 30, 2012

Training - Week 2 (July 23-29)

Well I'm in Week 2 of training. I didn't really look during week 1 but based on when the half marathon is, this is week 2.

I'm looking at a few training plans. I will kind of mesh them.
The Smart Coach plan has me doing 3 mi, 4 mi (speedwork), 2 mi, and 8 mi
Hal Higdon's have me doing 3 mi, 30 min tempo, 3 mi, 3 mi pace, and 6 mi (plus lifting)
The other Hal Higdon one has me doing 3 mi, 2 mi, 3 mi, 30 min cross, and 4 mi

This week I have done 2 mi, 4 mile (speedwork), and 2 mi.   See details below.

On Wednesday I could not get my Garmin to work so I ran and was mad and slow while running. I mapped it out after and I was just shy of completing 2 miles in 21 minutes. Granted I also had to wait for the walk sign twice and forget if that time is included or not. Oh man did that suck.

On Thursday, I did some speed work.  I ran a half mile warmup, ran 1 mile, half mile jog, then ran 1 mile. I thought I had a half mile to go to get to 4 miles but I did the math wrong and had to run a full mile cooldown. I guess I should have done 3/4 mi warmup to even it out.  The training plan said to run them in 8:35 but since I'm a big slacker lately I decided to go with 8:40.  That would mean 2:10 on my Garmin.  Well I know that 2:10.9 would pop up as 2:10 so I went with my goal being 2:09 so that I wasn't going close to over on each split.
I didn't do half bad for my first time out.  My goal for the recovery jog was near 10 minute mile pace and I was a little slow. There's always next time.

I also lifted weights for my legs. It is the first time I've done legs since June 13.

On Friday, I ran a nice easy 2 miles. My goal was 10 minute mile pace even though smart coach said to do it at a 10:41 pace.
When I woke up, my hamstrings were a little sore from lifting.

Saturday I was sore from lifting or maybe running so much in a row so it was good that I was planning Saturday to be a rest day.

Total Miles: 8 (Not good)
Total everything else: weights 1 time
Total suggested by training plans: 17, 18, or 12.

Final Thoughts:
Week 2 of training went better than expected since during Week 1 I didn't realize it was Week 1 and since I have been slacking for a good 2 months.  I do fear an overuse injury and am worried about increasing my mileage too much but if I increased based on what I was doing and only increased 10% a week, I wouldn't even be up to a 5k anytime soon.  How do you increase from 0!?  I didn't end up doing my long run Sunday. I would have had 5-8 more miles.  Skipping the long run helped with not increasing miles too fast but hurt with the long run part of a training plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment