Friday, October 14, 2016

Miles 1 Month Update

I'm keeping the same headings that I did with Ella. I did add a few tidbits as the months went on so I'm going to see if I can remember to add those in.

Stats:
  • Weight: 11 lb 14 oz - 92nd percentile (We zeroed out the scale with a diaper and onesie.)
  • Height: 23.25" - 99th percentile
  • Head Circumference: 39.5 cm - 97th percentile
  • BMI: 15.35 kg/m^2 - 63%
  • Weight/Length Percentile: 20%
  • Diapers: Size N until we ran out and then size 1. We never actually bought our own size 1 it was just the rest of a bag that someone gave us. 
  • Clothing: Newborn size at the beginning but tight right away. 0-3 months or 3 months mainly now.
  • Shoe Size: N/A
  • Teeth: 0
Sleep
I never woke Miles up every 3 hours to eat. He mostly was up before that was up but at night he slept a bit longer and I allowed it.  Some days are better than others. He slept more the first part of the month. Now some "naps" are 20 minutes.
He has napped in his crib, on me, in his swing, in the stroller, and in the car.  Mostly he naps in his crib. During the day naps seem shorter but then some days he gets a few good naps in. It's not consistent.

By the end of the month he was sleeping at night, waking up, having a diaper change, eating, and falling back asleep. But when it's daylight he'll be awake for a 2+ hour stretch and a 1+ hour stretch.  Sometimes even longer.

He will fall asleep in the swing or being rocked which is really nice.

According to my app he sleeps between 8 and 16 times a day. He sleeps between 10 and 18 hours a day.

I've taken a lot of screen captures from our video camera but I'll do another post with those.
Eating
He almost consistently has 2.5 hours of breastfeeding a day according to my app.
Mainly he nurses on 1 side per feeding. Maybe 1 in 3 days, the last feeding before the night he will nurse on both sides.

He's been given 3 bottles. The first 2 were from my mom. The third bottle was from Dave. He spit up all over Dave so I guess he didn't like that one!

He's had a little amount of spit up twice and a lot of spit up 2 times after/while nursing.  On the days he spit up a lot, he seems hungrier at the end of the night.

Sample Schedule:
I don't think I have anything for this now but in future months I'd like it.  There isn't that much that's consistent besides cranky time around dinner time. I thought 10:30 AM awake time for 2 hours was consistent but then after a week the time of that changed too. I didn't notice a time of day that had cluster feedings but there were a couple days where there were a lot of feedings because he was having a growth spurt.
By the end of the month he started being tired and wanting to nurse slowly and be rocked to fall asleep around 8 and asleep by a little after 9. Then he sleeps 3-4.5 hours before waking. Too bad Ella is awake for the first part of this so I can't enjoy his longest stretch of the night. Then his 2nd stretch is 2.5-3.5 hours long. Then the next ones tend to be closer to an hour!
In the evening he is cranky for a couple hours most nights. This will start when I have to take him in the car to pick Ella up from preschool. If I don't have to pick Ella up, the cranky time starts a little later.

I nurse on demand. He will sometimes wake up from a short nap and want to nurse but other times he just wants a diaper change and then to be rocked for a minute and he's back to sleep.  There have been a handful of times this month that he is crying and I go in there but he's back to sleep so I leave. (Once I decided to wake and nurse him since I was there but he just kept falling asleep so it was pointless.)
Special Moments:
On September 11,  he went to the nursery at 4 AM so I could get to sleep for a couple hours. (I never sent Ella to the nursery.)
On September 12, Ella helped burp Miles.
On September 13, he napped in the swing.
On September 14, Ella held Miles while he was sleeping for 25 minutes!
On September 22, his umbilical cord stump came off.
On September 25, he had his first bath.
On September 26, he drank from a bottle.
On October 4, Miles smiled at Dave. He also made a happy coo. It might have been his first one.
On October 5, he fell asleep on Dave while in bed.  Divya watched Miles while I went to Safeway. (His first time watched while awake and also first time watched outside of our house.)
On October 7, he took a bottle from Dave but then decided to projectile vomit it.
On October 8, it was our first trip to the park. We walked and he was in a stroller then at the park he was in the Ergo.
On October 9, we first used the bulb syringe on him. I can't believe he lasted that long.
Development:
Throughout the month his head control improved so much. He started to stand more and more and got pretty good at standing with our help by the end. 
He loves tummy time on Dave and pushes off and rolls off. Then he's mad and wants back up again to push off again. 
Eyesight improved and he likes to look at me a lot now. 
He start cooing towards the end of the month. 
He wakes up in his crib and is awake a little bit before crying. Also he will wake up and sometimes let out a little cry but then go back to sleep.
He grabs our fingers. Once we put a toy in front of him and he grabbed that.


Other Tidbits:
Likes
He loves it when he's swaddled for sleep.
He loves straight light shadows or straight lines in general. He just loves to stare at them.
He likes to nurse on the left side.
He likes leaning against Dave when he is lying down and pushing off and rolling to beside him. (But then dislikes that position and wants put back up.)

Dislikes
He doesn't like car rides. (He did the first 2 weeks then didn't and cries the entire time. )
He doesn't like when Ella is near him because he seems afraid he's going to be hurt or bothered like he was too many times already.
He doesn't like it when I change his clothes.
He doesn't like to nurse on the right side.
He often wakes up early from a nap if he's gone to the bathroom. He doesn't like the wet/dirty diaper.
Fun Facts
Longest time sleeping: 4 hours 57 minutes  (297 minutes)
Days with a sleep greater than 5 hours: 0
Diapers used (from September 10-30): 10.2 per day 
Diapers used (from October 1-11): 13.4 per day 
Time spent nursing (from September 10-30): 169 minutes (2:49) per day 
Time spent nursing (from October 1-11): 164 minutes (2:44) per day  (I forgot to check before the 11th data was there)
Time spent sleeping (from September 10-30): 15.4 hours per day
Time spent sleeping (from October 1-11): 15.6 hours per day    

Favorite Toys
none yet

Favorite Songs
none yet

Favorite Books
none yet

Other Tidbits
Miles gets the hiccups often. He actually burps multiple times each nursing session (unlike Ella). In the middle of the night when he wakes up, I change his diaper, he nurses, and he falls right to sleep. He probably falls asleep before he should when eating. But I do not have to try hard to get him to sleep. During the day, he will be yawning and I have to try hard. Miles will often be gulping when he's nursing.  I can't get over how big he is and I tend to think that is why I can't get different carriers to work properly. I'm still waiting for a few friends to walk me through the process to make sure I'm doing it right. 


My recovery
I was taking 3 Ibuprofen 4x a day but it was more like 3x a day. I stopped doing that around 2 weeks in. I started taking it again 4 weeks in for my knee. My knee causes me to not take Miles for walks so I'm not getting any form of exercise unless you count playing with Ella or grocery shopping.

The first 10 days after giving birth I got lightheaded every day. It sucked. 

I lost 23.6 lbs after 2 weeks but then gained a lb the next week then kept the weight up the 4th week. Actually I weighed myself after 1 week and I had only lost 9 lbs.  I was quite swollen at the time. 


I don't even try to shower everyday but when I want to shower it takes me about 2 days before I even get to shower!

Dave went back to work 2 weeks after Miles was born then my parents were here for a week.  The week after that I definitely over did it and was in so much pain again.

I wasn't really exhausted with Ella since I could nap anytime and she slept a lot. But now it's a lot harder. I miss sleeping during Miles's longest stretch at night because Ella is up for 2-3 hours of that. Sometimes I want to nap midday but can't because of Ella. But other times if she's at school I might try to nap and fail because the bedroom is just so bright or I think about all the stuff that needs to be done. A few times I tried to nap and was just starving.

2 comments:

  1. Loved reading this. I can't believe he's 1 month already. He looks so big and awake. I am no good at napping for those same reasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to take a 1 month post partum pic with him in my weekly photo outfit. Sigh.
      I wish I was made of time or didn't need sleep. I'm running out of scheduled blog posts and I'm so behind on new stuff.

      Delete