Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Sleep Training - Miles

We started sleep training because Miles went from sleeping 8-10 hour stretches to only 4 hour stretches. And lots of times 2 or less. This was a very different reason than we decided to sleep train Ella. He mainly falls asleep nursing but he would fall asleep in the swing too. Ella would only fall asleep on me. Ella was taking decent naps and his are crap.  They are so short.   Miles is not even 5 months and Ella was over 6 months when we started.

I made the same summary table as last time except I did add the column about what time I started nursing. He suggested it last time and I never added it.
Night 1:  I almost didn't do sleep training. He fell asleep on me once Ella left the room. But then he woke up 33 minutes later. I nursed him for a few minutes and he fell back to sleep. He was still asleep as I was transferring him to the crib but then he woke up as I put him down. I figured that was as good a time as any to put him down.  I then looked up the intervals to use. I couldn't remember much. I told Dave I had to research first. Of course he thought I didn't.  As I was watching the monitor and doing my checks, I was trying to look up when the book says to do naps and when the book says to do middle of the night wakings. He cried for 45 minutes. Then took an additional 20 minutes to fall asleep. So from crib to sleep it took 1:05.

Night 2: Miles was partially asleep on me but went into the crib awake. He cried for less than 3 minutes and was asleep in 18 minutes. His crying was right after I did a check! I only did 1 check.  But then he woke up an hour later and then woke up again 2 hours later!
Most days I didn't even check on him because he was quiet so soon.  I didn't take notes all the time! There were quite a few middle of the night put back in crib that I didn't write down.

In general I feel like he actually took to going in the crib awake a lot more than Ella did. Sometimes I'm holding him and he's jerking towards the crib. He wants me to put him in.  I meant to document more naps and nights but I didn't get to document as much as I did with Ella.  I have some notes in my notebook but I"m not even typing it here.  I know a few of the nights it took longer for him to fall asleep at night were days he was whining on me already.

No comments:

Post a Comment