Monday, September 19, 2005

today

Somehow my day went from bad to worse. 

It started out with me waking up at 6am with an upset stomach.  I attempted to go back to sleep but that wasn’t working. About a half hour later I took Pepto-Bismol but not the full dosage. It made me want to regurgitate.  I ended up taking 2 partial doses of it over an hour span.  I don’t think I even totaled one whole dosage.  My stomach has felt weird all day but it goes through kicks and will seem fine for awhile.
I ate crackers at 2:30 for my first food of the day (saltines). 

My 10am class isn’t as good as I thought. It’s DMS. The class that we are doing a project for GE for.  Well the group of 6 of us has one kid that is the “group leader” but he really doesn’t’ know anything about thermal and he does things the wrong way or puts his suggestion and it always ends up going that way.  Well we had to turn in a project proposal last Thursday.  I spent over an hour formatting it (like numbering equations, labeling figures, referencing figures (because the group hadn’t and they stole the figures from websites) and adding page breaks instead of hitting enter until you got the heading on the next page.  Well apparently even though I sent out the file before anyone else was even working on it, the group leader didn’t include anything at all that I fixed.  I even put in the body of the e-mail some of the minor things I fixed.  Apparently he didn’t use my copy even though it was the only one updated and he kept working on his.  There was even still an extra period randomly on a new line after a section that I had gotten rid of.  I didn’t know until today about all of this because he never sent out the final copy to everyone before turning it in.  I was discovering more and more things that weren’t included looking at the graded one right at the end of class today.  I was going to go home and see who was on AIM from my group to talk to about it.

I get home and the internet is broken. I figure it’s something w/ cable modem actually being down or something being unplugged.  We are still using the neighbor’s internet. (Yes no cable still)  I did curl up in bed and watch The Young and the Restless and The Bold and the Beautiful today.  It was pretty fuzzy but I watched it.  So I had to wait until after my 6:00 class for the internet to be back up.  Jesse had been cleaning the closet and organizing the wires so he had everything unplugged and didn’t have time to finish before his 12:00 class which is why our internet was out until 4 which is when he got home.  In class today we got back our “reading quizzes.” I read but the questions were so random and specific I ended up get a 5/10 and this test was worth 5% of our grades.  It’s our first grade.  So there again the day got worse.

Oh getting dressed today I wore sweats and a tank top with a sweatshirt over it.  Dave made fun of me for wearing an RPI sweatshirt and asked if I was trying to look ugly.  I said I was because I wanted people to leave me alone.  It worked.  In psych nobody sat on either side of me so I wasn’t smashed and I could spread out.  I did the tank top under incase I got hot.  I walked home both times taking off the sweatshirt but in the AC I wore the sweatshirt.

After I got home at 6 I was able to confront 2 group members about not including the stuff I did.  I wanted to say “what is the point of me doing anything ever if you don’t include it” but I didn’t. I phrased it nicer.  One of the ones I confronted had nothing to do with it and didn’t get to see or work on the final corrections.  The other kid (not the main one I mentioned earlier but the kid that always works with him) said something to the effect “well if they were minor changes we probably didn’t notice them.” He asked what and I was able to rattle off a list of 5 or so things that weren’t included.  He didn’t seem to see my point of sending out my corrections and explaining why I was working on it when I knew nobody else was.

Also in class my group doesn’t seem to like to hear my input.  I always get cut off. So it makes me just sit there silent a lot.  Well most of the time I don’t really have any further input because we are working on equations on the board or something.  When we do peer evaluations I have no idea what they will think I do though.  One other person in the group doesn’t say much at all but when he does get a word in it’s about a very intelligent idea.  I think I should talk to him and see what he thinks about the group or input.

So the references I added to the titles of figures that were taken from other sites that weren’t included in the report got comments by them saying to reference them.  We also got zinged for our poor “executive summary” even though Dave told them they needed to summarize the report and this and that and they didn’t do that and we were told to do exactly what Dave said to do.  I bet the group didn’t even realize or remember his comments about the report and what we should have been doing differently because everything was right that Dave said.  Dave is usually the one that can get his point across or people will listen when he talks and he even gets cut off or they shoot down all of his comments.  I don’t get it, two of the kids haven’t even taken thermal yet so they don’t even know all they should about the topic.

Then at dinner we made raviolis. Dave bought Italian bread earlier today so we had that too.  Well Dave was cutting right on the bread bag and not being careful.  We have 4 cuts in our very nice/new kitchen table.  I tried that scratch cover stuff that people use for their floors and furniture but it wouldn’t get into the deep narrow grooves. It’s right in the middle of the table so the napkin holder and coasters would cover it up but still if it’s not there it’s really noticeable.  Dave was sad about this.  Not really that he ruined the table but that he thinks I’ll scream and complain and yell about it later.

Another thing with DMS group (this all happened today btw) was that certain group members always take on the extra responsibility of talking to a professor or someone we need to talk to.  And really our whole group shouldn’t go see the person.  But then they don’t have time and don’t get the job done and we get behind because of it. 

We had a conference call with GE today.  We didn’t hear the information we wanted to hear about our questions aka he still couldn’t answer them. 

Tonight from 5-6 the CDC (career development center) had a workshop for seniors looking for a job.  I forget the exact description but it was very applicable to me and I couldn’t go because I was in class.

Well after DMS and before psych I was trying to do homework but it was so hard to concentrate because I hadn’t been able to get off my chest to my DMS group about them not including my stuff.  I did get a lot of my reading done today that I needed to get done.


OK that was today

Yesterday I got to work a few minutes early.  I mainly did all of Hollie’s side work while she was out smoking. I just work when I get there what needs done and she lucks out.  Then from about 3:30-4:30 I didn’t have a single table.  Then from 4:30-7 I made $3 so they finally let me leave early.  There was another server on.  I was scheduled until 8.  Ryan the other server kept yelling at me when we were slow for doing this and that.  I said “what else am I supposed to do.”  I was filling the ice even though it wasn’t that low, etc.  But then when I had to do my side work to leave all I had left was the salad bar to fill.  The one person I like to work with got to leave early so I didn’t even get to work with him.

Tomorrow is the season finale of Big Brother.  I’m kind of disappointed that the person I liked in the final three lost the tie breaker in the competition and then got rid of the girl I liked. 

I have class tomorrow at 8:30 and usually end up wanting to hit snooze and not get a shower in the morning but my hair looks better when I shower in the morning versus at night.  I’m trying to decide now which I should do.

Tomorrow for PD3 they have “key executives” coming to class to grade us while we do fake interview questions or fake scenario questions.  I’m nervous about that because of my dad today and my lack of concentration.

1 comment: