Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Down by the Bay 5k (11.3.19)


I ran a 5k without much training at all. I ran longer than 3 miles 1 time since the last 5k a year earlier.  My knees hurt when I run. They don't like all the pounding.   My practice run was pushing a stroller and it took me 40 minutes.
I figured I would try for a 12 minute pace and I played bonus seconds the entire time.  I started with 1 minute of running and 15 seconds of walking. I think I did this for 15 intervals then I did 1 minute of running and 30 seconds of walking. This is my pre-determined interval setup based on the app.

I was so thirsty and my lips were dry so I stopped at the 2 water stops. Back in my prime I never stopped at a water stop during a 5k.
I felt like I had weird sand in my shoes the entire time I ran.

Some lady right near me was doing intervals too but I'm not sure what her intervals were.

I felt like I could have kept going so I could have pushed even harder.

Around 3 miles, the kids saw me and cheered me on. It was so cute, I got out my phone to take their picture but then all the pics Dave took of me I had my phone in them. Then they tried to run to me and join in and finish with me but they wanted to hold my hands and I could not run like that. I did not want to finish slow! I wanted to finish strong. So I leg go of their hands and they cried.

I was so close to 36 minutes for the 5k which is better than a 12 min pace. I sent some texts while running about how I was so far ahead. I hit the halfway point at 18 min exactly.

My view of the kids running toward me cheering me on



Dave's view of the kids running toward me.







My official results were 36:02. My Garmin and Mapmyrun were slightly off.  Both of my devices had us under 3.1 miles.










No comments:

Post a Comment