Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Hospital Follow-up




I wrote about the first part of being in the hospital

My surgery was a little late. Transport was late getting me so then the surgeon came and got me himself. He was super annoyed. It was a long day for him.  It started near 9:30 PM. Or later than that. They had me get ready and I was waiting in the transport bed for awhile.  I think it started late. The surgeon was so annoyed with how late ti was and how long it took.  I think he called it an exploratory laparoscopic surgery. 

I woke up in recovery after 11 pm. I was very groggy. I remember noting how empty it was. It was just me and 2 nurses. Apparently they were on-call nurses called in special for me. 

I really need to look up the exact problem more but it was something with how when the gallbladder was removed it pulled part of the liver.  He had to cauterize the edge of the liver.


Every morning they tested my blood work again. My liver enzymes kept going down but nowhere near normal. 

Thursday I was on nothing by mouth for my MRI. It was my hardest MRI and then the pain was the worst after it. I had to hold my breath for periods of time through the entire MRI. It was like hold it for 21 seconds, 25 seconds, 28 seconds, etc. I have a rough time holding my breath for that long normally and then with all the pain and unable to take deep breathes it was rough. The room was spinning during the MRI.  

The doctor said there was no bile so it is good.  

He didn't really care how much my incision is draining but what it has.  The drain leaked a ton. I had many layers of gauze and my gown would still get all wet and be annoying. I remember asking the nurses to change it but they just seemed to keep on their schedule of when they'd change it no matter what. 

I was still in so much pain on Wednesday. They even wanted to stop giving me the good medicine that worked because at home I wouldn't be able to take an IV medicine.   They started to give me to pills of Norco instead of 1 which helped a bunch. But it was still nothing compared to Dilaudid.  

Each day I was so much better than the previous day but I was still far from normal.  

They seemed to want to send me home Wednesday and I said that was a bad idea.  Then they kept me and wanted to keep me another day just in case. 

My finger got infected while I was at the hospital. When I left the hospital they gave me antibiotics only because of my finger. 

I could take Norco every 4 hours. I would take a walk about an hour after I took the medicine. I definitely didn't take any within an hour of medicine being due since I was in so much more pain then.  

I left the hospital Friday at 11 am. 

I napped a lot. I barely walked. Short walks around the kitchen or eating made me lightheaded. My sciatica started giving me issues and every time I stand up and sometimes when I'm lying down my leg would go numb. 

Thursday June 24, I had my post-op appointment and had my drain removed.  The pain got a lot better once the drain was removed. 

The pictures aren't the best. All my pictures were slightly blurry when I tried to take them of the incision/drain. 

No comments:

Post a Comment