Saturday, June 12, 2021

Garmin Training Plan 6.4.21

I decided to see what a Garmin training plan is like. I set it up inputting my half marathon. Then I changed it to have a goal time. 
Some things are cool. Some are not. I have run not on the plan. 

I did learn I can move a run. I ended up missing one but I ran anyway. It's a little tricky to see the pace while you run. The drills seem to really slow my pace. Also all the walking slows my overall pace. But I will try to do this some more and see how it goes. 

The first day was a Benchmark Run.  All these runs have various drills and long warmups and cooldowns which make my overall pace so much slower. 


It started June 4. I set it up June 3.  


Day 1 was 2 minute warmup, 5 min fast, and 2 min cooldown.  I ran a workout after this not part of the plan.  I did .52 in 5 minutes at 9:37 pace. Once I did this run, Garmin created a plan for me. 






I missed my long run. I rescheduled it then rescheduled it then just didn't get to it. With Ella home it's rough. I ran on Sunday but not the long run and I didn't realize I could move training plan workouts so I did 30 day breakaway (6/6) and also later that day ran to and from an open house. I did run to and from PT but that wasn't considered the plan either. (6/8)  On Sunday, I ran with Liam and still beat my distance the last time I ran this same workout. 

Sunday

To PT

From PT


Then I swapped the order of my next 2 runs. 

I did Magic Mile at night when I wasn't feeling that well. (6/10/21) You start with a bunch of drills then on the Magic Mile, I did that in 10:03.  This predicts a half with a 12:02 pace so 2:37:40 for the time for a half!








Then I did Goal pace repeats the next day. (6/11/21) I did 5 repeats based on my goal pace of 2:10 that I input. I accidentally did better than the suggested range 2 of 5 times and 2 times were within a second of the low end of the pace. The workout felt really hard because I was sore from The Prep Legs and then a run the day before. I didn't get to run until 11 AM. It was so hot. The overall run time was much longer than I hoped/guessed. All the drills and walk breaks sure make the time and distance longer than I'm used to with repeats like this.  I could see my first .25 split for each repeat but it didn't pop up with the second so I never knew for sure what I was doing.  While running it would tell me my pace or if I was in the range I should be in. But that doesn't work so well if you have walk intervals so I'm not sure.  I tended to have 2 walk intervals per half mile. Jeff Galloway is the Coach and he's all about run walk run so I don't know why most of the training runs don't even account for it. 

I was going to do week 1 but week 1 was partial and then week 2 merged into week 1 and I pushed my long run and I ran not on the plan too so I'll just post this now since I started writing it.  I also did 2 hikes, and 3 The Prep workouts in the 8 days covered here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment