Monday, January 7, 2013

Week 4 of Half Marathon Training (12.31-1.6)

Planned Mileage: 4, 4, 3, 4 (for a total of 15 miles)

Monday: I did nothing. I did not feel well. My nose was running nonstop. I was freezing and under multiple afghans most of the day.

Tuesday, 1/1: I went to the gym in the morning. I ran .5 at 6.6 mph pace on an interval between 0 incline and 3 incline. Then I did weights for my legs for 29 minutes.  I walked to and from the gym 10 minutes each way.  I did abs at home. Then later I went on a 14 mile bike ride with Dave. 

Wednesday:  I walked to the Gym. I did 25 minutes of upper body weights. I walked home. I did abs + foam roller at home. My calves were quite sore/tight from the calf machine at the gym on Tuesday. 

Thursday: My calves are still sore. I walked to and from Safeway. Just before dark I squeezed in a 4 mile runMy calves were pretty tight at the beginning of the run so I wanted to take it easy and not do the tempo run I had planned. I set out with a 9:30 goal. I was pretty consistent. My last full split was 2:08 which ended up making my last mile the best.  I didn't even mean for it to be that fast. I think because in the middle there I had to wait for the walk sign so once I got it, I really went.  Later I did abs, foam roller, and some body weight exercises for my legs.

Friday: I went to our apartment complex gym. My calves were still a little tight.  I did 10 minutes on the elliptical, 20 minutes on the exercise bike (5.2 mi), then ran half mile on the treadmill. I did all three things while reading so I only ran at 6.0 mph.  After Dave got home, we both went to the gym. I lifted weights for my legs for 39 minutes. If you count the walk to and from the gym too, I worked out an hour at that point. 

Saturday: I took a rest day.

Sunday: I ran to and from the gym a roundabout way. I lifted weights on my arms for a little over 40 minutes. Later in the day, Dave and I rode bikes for 3.17 miles. 

Total Running Mileage: 7.08 mi (pitiful especially for 4 runs)
Total Biking Mileage: 17.3 mi + 5.2 mi (exercise bike)
Total other things: a few walks (lots?), biking twice,  5 core workouts, weights five times.

Summary: My running sucked again but I did other things and those other things are far better than they have been in the past. Joining the gym near me has really helped with the weight lifting. Man is it nice to have machines again that I haven't had in 6 months.  My arms and legs have been almost constantly sore but alternating since we joined the gym. I actually did so much besides running, it was hard to count it all up. I'm still scared to bike. I feel like I'm biking so fast at times and realize the split is just as fast as people run.

No comments:

Post a Comment