Sunday, August 4, 2013

Dev Bootcamp Phase 1 Tips

Don't constantly compare yourself to others.  Everyone will be at a slightly different place starting out but it will even out. 

Don't kill yourself to complete an assignment.  Staying up late to finish an assignment may not help you learn anything new and then the following day you will be tired and not absorb as much new information.

Don't be afraid of the pairing process.  I was afraid when I started because I just assumed my partner would know more than me. It is better to not assume that and just voice your concerns. You might know more in 1 area and they might know more in another so then pairing is really beneficial. 

Sleep. Try to sleep a normal amount. I've been sleeping less than that and it's starting to catch up with me. You can also tell that classmates are the same way. We are starting to work slower now because of exhaustion. 

Ask questions. Don't even wait until you are stuck for a long time. If you think you might not figure it out or might figure it out but be confused, put up the flag that TAs know to come over. Sometimes they are helping others and you figure it out before they make it over. Then you can take down the flag. 

Well now I'm busy doing Phase 2 prep so I'm going to pause in thinking about this. I might add more as I think of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment