Tuesday, May 31, 2011

June Spotlight - JoAnn

Well it's that time again... that time to spotlight another awesome blogger. For my seventh feature, I thought I'd ask JoAnn some questions. Her photos are amazing. The composition and even just that they are all outside is amazing.

Where did the name of your blog come from?
I originally started this blog with my younger sister and we named it Sidewalk Chalk, because it was a place for us to focus on our mutual love of clothing and childhood favorites. When she left the blog to pursue other things, the direction of it changed and I decided to change it slightly to Sidewalk Chic to focus on my style. Plus, I think the original name confused people who were Googling for art supplies :)


When did you start your blog? Have you ever had any other blogs before?
My sister and I started the blog in October 2009. I've had other blogs, but those were private ones without any real focus. I have kept a lot of journals over my life since age 7.

What is the main goal of your blog?
My main goal is to focus on personal style and landscape photography.

Did the intent or content of your blog change since you started?
It definitely did. Originally it focused on the differences between my style as a post-graduate in the real world and my sister, who was in high school at the time. Since then, it's been under my sole direction and I have focused a lot on enhancing my photography skills. I live in Georgia, so I've been really inspired by some of the rural farms and fields in my area and try to really capture some of the beauty of these locations. I take all of my own photos (unless otherwise noted) and I mostly do them outdoors.

How many hours per week would you say you spend blogging?
Probably 15 to 20, and a lot of that is because I spend time outdoors for photos.

Do you spend more time reading blogs than you do writing your own blog?
 I spend a lot more time reading blogs. It used to take me a really long time to take photos, edit and draft entries. But after doing this for a while, there's definitely a rhythm to it, and I can get it all done under two hours everyday.

How many blogs do you read on a daily basis?
I would say I visit about 10 everyday, but my Google Reader is subscribed to more than a 100, so I try to vary my reading from time to time. I read a lot of personal style blogs, but I'm also interested in online comics and illustrations (some favorites include Stuff No One Told Me (But I Learned Anyways) and Hyperbole and a Half).

Do people email you often because they read your blog?
I do get emails from time to time, and it's always fun to interact with others. I've definitely developed some wonderful relationships because of it.

Do you communicate with a lot of your readers via email/IM?
I mostly interact with my readers via email and Disqus comments. I love that Disqus allows for easy replying in comment threads.

What is your inspiration?
I'm inspired from a lot of different muses, ranging from personal style bloggers to landscape photographers. Recently I've started reaching out to local photographers on flickr to find more scenic photo spots in my area.

From the past six months, what is your favorite outfit that you’ve worn (and photographed)?
I really liked my J. Crew green paisley dress worn with a floral blue/white blouse. It was so eclectic and out there for me, and I loved how it turned out.

What is your favorite picture (of you, others, or scenery) that you have taken recently?
This was so tough to answer -- I'm not sure that I could narrow it down. Over the past year, I've really tried to challenge myself by experimenting with locations, lighting and angles. I think Imogen Cunningham said it best: "Which of my photographs is my favorite? The one I'm going to take tomorrow."

What post are you most proud of?
Did it get the most hits? I was really proud of the post I wrote about posing naturally in outfit photos. I feel like a lot of style photographers can get self-conscious in front of the camera. I still get a lot of feedback from it.

What is your daily routine regarding your blog? (Ex: When do you take pictures? When do you upload
them? When do you write the post?)
I try to take photos every afternoon, and over the weekends I try to do photos just after sunrise. I end up writing the posts at night and they get published at 9:00 every morning.

How do you juggle all your competing priorities and still have time to blog?
I try to remember that this is my hobby, and to try to make time for it everyday.

What is your best tip to photographing yourself?
I think it's important to experiment and get comfortable in front of the camera by trying all kinds of poses. I'm also a big advocate of good posture.

What is one interesting fact you’d like to share about yourself?
I'm planning on going to graduate school in the fall to study advertising. I'm looking forward to seeing how my blog will evolve during that time period.

If you haven't done so already, head on over to see what JoAnn has to say at Sidewalk Chic.

No comments:

Post a Comment