Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Down By the Bay 5k (11.4.18)

Before the race
Months ago I registered for a 5k and Ella and Miles for a Tot Trot. I even did it before getting the 15% discount was available for the preschool families.

The week of the race, my plantar fasciitis got so bad. I was in constant pain. I took a break from workouts the week. I should have taken more rest time but I was already signed up.
The day started with the tot trot.  Then we had a little time to kill and Beth and I lined up for the race.   It was my first race in many years without a Garmin. I did have mapmyrun on my phone but I couldn't easily look at it easily.  I missed the beeping ever .25 miles.

Beth and I ran 1 mile continuously then we turned on the run:walk interval app. We ran a minute and walked 30 seconds for the rest of the race besides the last few hundred yards.  The course was mainly flat but there was a slight hill and going down it made my plantar fasciitis hurt so bad. I could have done better if my feet weren't so bad.  I never did get to properly train because I was so busy running a mile to and a mile home from school. I didn't have it in me to run more but also since I was running so much short distances I never had time to run longer than a mile unless I was running to the other preschool which I did some Fridays.

At the very end they had some man made rolling hills or if you were in a stroller you could take the flat path. I really wanted to take the flat path since downhills hurt my feet so bad but nobody else was so I didn't. 

Coming in to finish, Dave and Ella were there. Ella cheered me on and Dave took some pictures. I finished and tried to turn around and take video of Beth finishing but I just held my phone up and never actually started the video.

My time was similar to the first 5k I ran. I hadn't run a 5k in so long so it was about what I expected. It is a lot easier to run without pushing a double stroller though. Official results: 31:34.
After the race
I feel like I wrote more at one point but lost the draft.  But this is good enough. I did want to run more and find another race to redeem myself but then bad air quality and rain and my plantar fasciitis all contributed to not running for a few weeks. Then pregnancy issues and then traveling meant I didn't run for a couple months. 








 Some pictures Dave took of me coming in through the finish. Beth is a little behind me.









No comments:

Post a Comment