Thursday, February 7, 2019

Carnival 2016 (7.30.16)

\
I started my day off bright and early making bacon for the carnival. I thought we needed some to go with the bagels. I was not the best at making bacon and had 3 pans going instead of using the oven. I splattered grease on my shirt and stained it too.
I used every inch of the car to get everything to the carnival. I don't even know if these pictures of the car were after everything was in.

I took a dolly to get stuff from the car to the table area. I had to make quite a few trips. I got there a little bit after some did who were setting up but I did have to make bacon in the morning and also I was quite pregnant!
We had volunteers for each thing in the program. I typed up instructions for every volunteer so that they knew what they'd have to do in advance. We sent out the instructions + had them printed with each game/activity.  We brought so many plastic utensils and our mistake was not bringing a knife to cut the bagels. We managed but it took way longer without an actual good knife. Volunteers came to help set up and spent some time doing that. I kept trying to do 8 million things and would get distracted when someone asked what to do next then I'd put down what I was holding and doing and then couldn't find where later.

I had to go home and get Dave and Ella so we ended up missing Bean Bag Bowl Toss totally and also missing duck pond but the pond was still out.  Dave and Ella weren't ready when I got there. It was a pretty quick drive but I was a little late leaving to get them since we weren't set up in time and then they weren't ready. Dave apparently didn't even know the official start time.

When I got back with Dave, we opened the bacon container. Apparently it hadn't been opened so nobody ate any. Then all the bacon was gone in 10 minutes. I guess I should have made more. I couldn't believe how fast it went yet I could. I burnt a couple pieces too and they were also gone! I was told we didn't even need bacon. There are so many vegetarians and people who don't eat pork but plenty of people do eat bacon. I typed up some lessons learned after the event and one was about having plenty of bacon. :)

We spent over 2 months planning the event. There were 4 of us that met to try to finalize things.  Most of the planning was done the last week. We spent a lot of time on research on food choices but then it was just all too expensive. Or maybe I spent a lot of time early on doing that. When you set the cost out initially before figuring out food, it's a lot harder to have all the awesome options we were suggesting.  It was too last minute for me but it was so hard to do it all in advance. We were making the photo booths the week of and getting all the signs printed the week of. Divya and Laura planned the music time/story time itinerary just days before the event. I made all the food labels the week of.  I made matching hair ties for us to wear and we all wore red on purpose. Ella also had a ribbon hair tie to match us! So much of the planning was changing food or wanting different food but then food + decorations + prizes + game purchases were just too much so we needed cheap food.  We charged per adult and kids were free but kids had to eat too so the $12 per adult had to last. We had a decent amount of food but no big meal foods like sandwiches. We stuck with bagels, fruit, yogurt, cheese and crackers, croissants, etc.
The week of the carnival I had to miss a planning meeting because my sciatica pain was so bad. That sucked. I hate to miss out. Also I noticed when we had meetings with 3 people then other meetings with 3 people someone was out of the loop and still working off of some old decisions. It's so hard to keep up!

We gave prizes after every game. All the kids had little popcorn bags labeled with their name to put their prizes in them as the day went on. I had counted and labeled prizes so each volunteer had enough for every kid to eat least get one. Then I put notes on the instruction sheets on what to put the leftover prizes with (a later game kit usually).
I apparently want to include too many pictures so I'm just putting a ton at the end.  The pictures seem to be a little out of order. Camera times must not have been synced.
We had an art table that had a big sheet of paper and also white cardstock. Kids got to pick what they wanted to do.
I never got a picture of the food tables fully set up.  We had an adult food table, a kids food table, a gluten free table, and a dessert table.
I printed carnival coloring sheets for kids to color. They kept blowing away so were taped down. Then in the hecticness of the event, we didn't always get out enough new ones to replace them so we had a lot left at the end of the event. (We used the leftovers for the 2018 carnival!)
A graphic designer mom designed us some signs for the event.


We had a table for puzzles.
Being the crazy photographer I am, I saw someone else taking pictures fo kids and I took a picture of them!

We had popcorn bags for all the guests which were labeled with their names. They were not for popcorn since popcorn is a choking hazard but they were for prizes. (This picture was taken after most guests had arrived.)



I used the signs Delzin made and then made more signs. She made the table tents and I used the same thing to create all the food labels but in black and white since I only have a black and white printer and getting things printed in color was a bit of a hardship.

We hung up artwork as kids made it. Then this way the paint got to dry and also as the day went on, we got more and more decorations.
We put the food on the table for kids in dump trucks and other vehicles. It gave it some character. We lined everything with aluminum foil so food wasn't actually touching the trucks. We wiped the trucks down but still didn't want food sitting on the toys themselves.










We had 4 desserts. The rice krispie treats and the peanut butter cup cookies were made at a meetup prior to the event. The brownies and carrot cake were made my moms.

We made 3 photo booth frames!


Look at Ella's cute hair!


The treasure hunt didn't go as well because we hid toys in random cereals.  Ella and other kids loved trying to eat all the cereal!

We tried to get people to hashtag the carnival but I'm pretty sure Divya and I were the only ones who posted using it.







 Walk the plank!






 Attempting to show off our hair ties!




 Ella loved creating beautiful art.










I loved hanging up the artwork as the event went on. I wish I took more pictures of it.
We had bubble solution and did giant bubbles.

Cereals weren't the best choice for the treasure hunt because kids wanted to eat it.
 Look there are some prizes on the ground outside the container and the kids don't even care.









Wheel Barrow Race





Here Maie is asking if the car is in the way but I kept the pic in the post because it makes me feel like a giant.

No comments:

Post a Comment