Monday, May 24, 2010

Mars Band 5k Run

 On May 22, I ran a 5k at my school district's high school.  It supported the band.  It was my "home course" because about 2.5 of the 3.1 miles I run all the time. I just start around the .9 mile mark instead of at 0. The race coordinators had a photographer at the finish and I didn't know it.
 Before the race I took a picture with Emily right before I put my camera and jacket in my car.

It was raining when I parked around 8am.  Then it stopped. I registered and there was no line. It was great.  I had time to hang out for a little while. It stopped raining by the time we started to line up to start the race.  The directors announced things and we were about to start running and then it started raining. It started raining just after I said I hoped it rained during our run so that people will do worse but my team wouldn't because we are hardcore.

My family was observing the race from the end of my street. That was just before the 1 mile mark. Maybe the .9 or .95 mile mark.  I already look like i'm dying.  Perhaps because that's the fastest mile split I had yet.  I've hit 7:40 a few times but this time I hit the it at 7:30. The first mile was just after turning onto Butler Street Extension.

My mom, brother, and husband were all taking pictures.  My goal has been to get a nice leg muscle picture ever since I saw Callie's LJ icon years ago. I'm pretty close. There are a few. My leg muscles just need to look better.  I wore crazy colors so that I could easily be picked out in the crowd except that my husband didn't tell this idea to my family so they had to keep looking for everyone.
Nice Leg Muscle - Bad upper body form
Butler Street Extension was all muddy. We were warned about this.  They are replacing the sewer lines and with all the rain it washed down all the mud onto the road.  It was slippery but I managed.  Everyone ended up with muddy legs and some people with the back of their shirts/shorts all muddy.  I hate when that happens.

I hit mile 2 at 16:00 (that's 8:30).
Then I finished at 25:59.7 (that's 10:00 for 1.1 miles).  I really thought I would hit 25. I felt like I was so much better than in March and the course was so much easier.


I really need to work on getting my mile 2 and 3 faster.   When I ran the half marathon I hit 3 miles in under 27 minutes so you'd think I'd be a lot faster for a race that ends after 3.1. 



My team + Emily and minus Nick.
There were quite a few Westinghouse people there but I didn't get my picture taken with all of them.
My team consisted of Nate, Nick, Tyler, Melissa and myself. We were sitting around killing time then someone informed us how the results were posted.  I went and checked with Emily.  I did not believe my eyes. I made her double check.   I won my age group.  Melissa came in 2nd.  Melissa should have been faster than me but I'll take the win.  Nate won his age group and Nick came in 2nd.  Poor Tyler only got 4th in his age group. He came in 4th by 9 seconds.

A guy in the 70+ age group beat me.  An 81 yr old lady ran it in a little over 32 minutes.  I was very impressed.
Four out of five team members.

Then after doing all the age group awards, they did the team awards.   My team WON the coed division.
So not only did I get 1 medal and achieve my running goal but I got 2 medals.  Now I need a new running goal.

It was around 11:00 by the time awards were done.  The race started at 9.  January was the first time I suck around for awards. I don't know why I never did before that. That is what gave me more inspiration.  This race was the best because so many people I knew placed.  I guess it pays to only have about 400 people run a race instead of thousands.

1 comment:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS on all your medals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete