Monday, July 4, 2011

5k Race (7.4.11)

My first race 2 years ago was the Race for Virginia. I ran it last year too so it was my plan to run it again.  I like to compare the times for the same race.
Well this morning I woke up with an upset stomach. I was also tired. I stayed up later than 1:30 reading.  I started to get ready for the race anyway. Then I decided I would not run it. I texted Brie hoping she didn't leave for the race yet so I was able to back out with more ease. Well then I texted Christina to tell her I was not going. She said I should. Then I thought since it's the last year for this race, I could go take pictures.  Well I went to do just that. Then I registered and ran the thing.  The adrenaline sure helped my stomach think I was better. (It wasn't. It was a trick. My stomach is very upset now as I type this.) I felt bad because I told Brie I wouldn't run and told her not to come and then I went and ran it. (Sorry Brie)
Before the race
During the introduction, the race director cried again. This is the 10th and final year for the Race for Virginia and his lost the battle with cancer before her 9th birthday.

I started out slow or what I thought was slow. I didn't push myself a ton. I look down at my Garmin and realize my slow pace was about an 8 minute mile pace 3/4 of a mile in.  I keep running. It was pretty hot. I had sweat dripping in my eyes.  I was hoping to get 8, 9, 9, and 1 for the splits. I figured 27 minutes might be doable. While I was running I realized last year after only a couple hours of sleep in hot weather I had a race worse than 27 minutes so then I started second guessing my goals.
I really wanted to hit around 25 minutes for this race but then I didn't get to train in the spring properly. I didn't have someone to push me along. (I'm just full of excuses.) I hadn't been training well so I almost didn't want to run just for that. Why race when you can't improve?  So when I woke up with a stomach ache, I figured it was a convenient excuse not to run. Then I wouldn't have to tell people I didn't run because I thought I'd suck and that I didn't run because my stomach was all upset.
After the race
After I ran I went to get a donut. I got a muchkin. I ate half of it and felt like I was going to pass out so Christina and I went and sat on the ground.  Then I got some Rita's and ate a little bit of that.   After 35 minutes or so, they had awards.  I didn't even look at the times good enough to see that I had placed in my age group.  I came in 2nd again.  I would have to be 2-3 minutes faster in the other age groups to place. I really want to improve my time to get to it.

Last year I got a $10 giftcard for coming in 2nd. This year I got 4 $10 gift cards.  With registration, I got $10. So I got a total of $50. My registration fee was $20 so this was my first profitable race.

In 2009, I was 15th in my age group.  In 2010 and 2011, I came in 2nd in my age group.  Last year by this time, I had 4 medals.  This year I have 2.
 After I got home, Poly cuddled with me even though I was sweaty and smelled.
Garmin map
My Garmin didn't think it was a full 3.1 but if you look at the map, it didn't quite have all the lines drawn properly.
BodyMedia Fit
2010 - Post race picture. I was about 10 lbs lighter there.
Official results:  http://runhigh.com/2011RESULTS/R070411CB.HTML

1 comment:

  1. Girl, you are a MACHINE! I'm so proud of you. Great perseverance. Thanks for the email! I'm dissecting it right now. :)

    ReplyDelete