Thursday, June 24, 2010

Workout Goals

I need some workout goals.  I don't know what they should be. There are so many options and in some ways they conflict each other.
I want to reduce my body fat percentage so I can run faster. But I don't want to decrease my measurements because I already can't get clothes that fit. The smallest size stores sell are too big lots of times. Except if I wanted to wear skinny jeans I couldn't because my calves are too big.
I want to increase my speed for running. This is a lot like the first one except could focus on way more than body fat percentage. I want to improve my running form. I don't think that conflicts with anything else that I can think of.
I want have nice defined muscles that people can notice. If my muscles get too big then my running won't be as good.

I want more endurance. I want to be able to run for an hour or more and have no problems and still be able to keep my speed the entire time.

I want to get rid of my gut.
I should eat healthier but I don't want to. I like my cheeze itz as snacks during the work day if I need a snack.

I want to be more flexible. I am so much more flexible than I was 1.5 years ago but I'm probably still worse than 50% of the people.

I also want to have more time to be able to work out.

All winter I had a nice routine: Monday - Body Pump, Tuesday - Body Combat + Core, Wednesday - Spinning + Core, Thursday - Body Pump, Friday rest day.  Saturday &/or Sunday exercise bike at home and or weight lifting.  Also before Pump I would use the elliptical for 15 minutes or so.   In January I started running a little bit in addition to the above.

Then in mid-February I started training for the Pittsburgh half-marathon. I used Hal Higdon's training plan. I followed it the best I could but probably only did 3/4 of the time. I rarely ran more than it said. I didn't usually do nothing when it said not to do nothing.

Now I made my own plan for a half September 11 starting with longer runs on the weekend so I can have more endurance for later but then I barely even do what I'm supposed to. Lately I've been doing 2.5 miles on the week days instead of 3 or 5.

What should I focus on? What else should I do?  How will I find time to run when it gets so hot so I will only be able to run in the early morning or late evening?   Provide input.
Below is the training plan I made for myself almost a month ago. I actually made it on Wednesday of the first week.  I plan to make a few alterations to it but I wanted to show my original or well my 2nd version once I learned I was pacing Callie. (I thought it was 12 but it was 10.9 but I didn't update it.)


I also write down what I have done recently and put that on the file. Below is a jpg I made of what I did so far.  Note how little I have followed the plan.  At least I have 11.5 more weeks to go to get back on track and get back into shape.  I noticed on Sunday when I ran 6.5 miles that my endurance seemed gone.

Week 1 4.8 mile day was 1 run at lunch and 1 interval workout in the evening. The 8 mile was was 3 miles with walking between and then 5 after.
Week 3 had Body pump in the morning and 4 mile run after work.
Monday of this week had spinning at 7am and then Body Pump at 5 PM.  So sometimes I got 2 workouts in to make up for missing a day. Thursday was always run and pump day with the original training plan so I tried to keep it that way.  Back in the day I used to use the arc trainer or elliptical for 15 minutes before every pump class. Now I never get down there early enough to do that or I may get down there early enough for 5 minutes but I just talk to people instead.
I just did yoga so the Thursday is not complete. I did 34 minutes of the 90 minute P90x workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment