Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Shopping -12/26/10

After lunch, I went to the Shoppes at Cranberry. I only ended up getting the above tank at Old Navy for 19.50 (XS - hand wash). 
 I went to the mall in the evening and went in a million stores. The only store I had success in was F21.
4 skirts and 3 shirts later I consider that a win.

Gray and Black Striped Skirt is a short skirt but I bought a large so it is longer and I can wear it on my hips - $6.50
Knee length black skirt - 89% cotton, 11% spandex (no zipper or slits) - machine wash cold - medium - $7.50
Knee length black skirt - 78% polyester, 19% rayon, 3% spandex - has a zipper in the back, some detailing, and a slit in the back, says to hand wash - medium - $13.80
Flower print knee length skirt - claims of dry clean only, 97% polyester and 3% spandex - medium - $14.80  I'm thinking this isn't clean only. I'll wear it a few times before trying to wash it just in case.

Knit black and white striped shirt (even stripes) - 50% rayon, 50% polyester, claims of dry clean only - medium - $5.50 (this is the most casual shirt ever. I can't believe it'd be dry clean only)
Black and creme shirt (I love H81) - 100% cotton, machine wash - medium - $6.90
Blue and Red Striped sweater - 49% rayon, 45% polyester, 6% spandex, hand wash - small - $14.80 (I already wore this yesterday and my husband liked it. I like that it is thin so I could layer it. I didn't layer it yesterday and was cold. It is slightly see through so I needed a cami underneath.  It did get snagged though. bummer)

All things were lay flat to dry unless they were dry clean only.

Now I know a ton of you out there shop at F21.  Is there stuff really dry clean only?  How do you wash yours?

Did I buy too many stripes?

9 comments:

  1. I did a lot better than you. I got a cashmere sweater for $20 at JCPenney, a yellow v-neck at Old Navy for a bit under $10, and a heavy Woolrich red plaid coat for about $4 at the Goodwill where clothes are by the pound. I think comparable ones go for $200 new. Timmy got a suit that seems handmade for $3.

    You can never have too many horizontal stripes. I'm glad they're coming back in style. I didn't see too many of them from 2006 through 2009.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many stores I went to didn't even have sales on stuff I wanted. And I'm not paying $88 for a skirt.

    I keep wanting to go to the goodwill up by me but I never do.

    (my m key doesn't work right on my netbook. Sad times)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I don't know what the deal is with F21 clothes saying dry clean only lately - I've been noticing it more and more. My rule is that I dry clean silks, anything with fancy detailing (pleating, for example), and anything I would hate to ruin. Generally speaking most F21 stuff doesn't fall into any of those categories. When in doubt, I'll hand wash and lay flat to dry, but I just noticed while doing the laundry over the weekend that I machine wash a few things that are dry clean only from F21. I think playing it by ear is the best bet - I wouldn't dry clean any of the stuff you bought, though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the advice. I paid attention to the fabrics and thought it was OK so I figured I could wash it. I mean the worst that happens is I paid 5.50 for a shirt that got ruined.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is no such thing as too many stripes. :)

    I adore Forever 21, if I don't have an anxiety attack from the loud music and too much eye candy. It looks like you got some great stuff, those are the best shopping trips ever!

    ReplyDelete
  6. H&M is the worst store. THat lighting is awful. I can barely put up with it to see their clothes.

    F21 is so cluttered that you have to have time to look. Even asking employees they are no help. They claimed no more knee length skirts and then I found more after. I did limit myself to 4. I almost got 6 but how many more black pencil skirts do I need. Also the one shiny red skirt was too shiny.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never been successful at H+M or F21. Too many people, too much chaos. Someday, I'll go in there and it will be calm and quiet - but that day has not come.
    Your picks look great. I love all the stripes.

    The Auspicious Life

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never gotten anything from Forever21 that was dry clean only, but you should be able to tell from the material whether that is true or not. And as to your question about buying too many stripes, I'd say if you are looking for something that is going to work great now and be out of style this time next year, keep the stripes. If you are looking for more long-lasting pieces, maybe substitute one or two of the striped shirts for a different pattern. Just a thought. Love the haul! I need to hit up the mall!! - Katy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Linda, this was one time that the store was not chaotic. There wasn't even a line to check out. I think they had a ton of employees there due to the day after Christmas but since nothing was on sale, not as many people were there. The employees also looked miserable... maybe they scared people away. They looked as if they didn't want to be there.

    Katy, I figured if they are out of style next year, I at least got them at a cheap place. I've been fixated on stripes for months. I didn't realize it was so bad until I realized half my blog comments were about people's stripes. I was trying to find patterned skirts. I only succeeded in finding one. I asked employees. They said there weren't more to the knee skirts. Then I found one more but only in Small... maybe next time.

    ReplyDelete