Sunday, March 10, 2019

Sciatica Pain (March 2019)

Well it happened again. I had sciatica pain when I was pregnant with Miles and now I do again.

I think it started roughly the same week both times but this time back pain without sciatica pain started first.

At first I would have excruciating low back pain and sitting in a chair was pure agony. Sitting while Ella was at gymnastics was rough.  Mostly it went away when I slept and I'd be OK most of the day until near 5 PM.

Then this past week sciatica pain started and I'd have shooting pains down my leg.  I could push and jostle my belly and get the baby to move and then have pain relief. But as the days go on this is not helping.

After going on a field trip on Thursday, I was so sore and exhausted and by the end of the night I couldn't even walk. Every time I put weight on my right leg, I would have shooting pains down my right leg.  I even attempted to go to bed at 8:30 and have Dave handle Miles's bedtime. But the pain was so bad that I couldn't even go to sleep until 10:30.  Ella was extremely nice and was rubbing my low back and it was helping.

Friday I tried to load the dishwasher and I would be wincing in pain all the time. The turning and the bending were just not good.

Saturday (3/9), my entire right leg was numb by evening.  I'd be limping like crazy but then sometimes I could manage to go 5 steps without pain or limping then all of a sudden I'd have shooting pains down my leg.   I really want video of my inability to walk but I don't walk to prop my phone and walk back then get it to record so I don't have access to it.

Almost 2 weeks ago I got back exercises from the doctor. They don't seem to do much but I do them. I tried a heating pad on my back. It doesn't do anything.  I put ice on my back and don't think it does anything. I have a maternity belt that I wear when I'm standing or doing work and I wear it. I'm not sure how well it helps. If I sit with it on, it makes it worse.  I'm strongly considering calling PT to see if I can get an appointment and just learn anything new because I can't handle 5 weeks of this.

2 comments:

  1. This all sounds awful. At least there is an end in sight, albeit 5 weeks from now. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true for the sciatica pain but last time I had this then I couldn't do much of anything then I ended up with knee problems and it was over a year before I was rid of the knee pain... Including 9 months of PT.

      Delete