Monday, April 11, 2011

Brittney on Why I run

Hey guys, Brittney here. From A Day in the Life Too... (ever heard of it? No? Then that makes you normal. Congratulations.)
 
So. I ran my first marathon the day after I graduated high school. Worst experience of my life, as I had neither trained properly nor slept NOR eaten the night/morning before. I wanted to die at about mile 16 and pretty much did. Finished up as a near-corpse in who knows how many hours.
 
I ran a few miles here and there periodically throughout college and my 20s. Then I decided to redeem myself in the marathon department in 2007. Had a baby in 2008, then I did an ultramarathon (mine was the wimpiest kind, though, at just 50k, so don't get too impressed) in 2009. Then another marathon last Fall, in which I missed qualifying for Boston by under 40 seconds. Meh. Mayber another time...
So. Why do I run? I don't, really, in Winter. But Spring through late Fall, you'll find me running for a number of reasons:
 
(1) I run because I'm one of the least coordinated/athletic persons ever born. It's by the sheer goodness of Fate that I'm even able to tie my shoes. Stuff like Step Aerobics? Basketball? Jumprope? Forget it. Running wins by default.
 
(2) I run because, at first, it's hard. No matter how in-shape (or out-of-shape) I am, the first 1-2 miles of any run are hard. Then physical automation takes over, and I'm free to enter the world of a completely freed mind. I never know where it'll take me -- somewhere sweet, somewhere reflective, somewhere funny, somewhere painful, somewhere spiritual, somewhere lame. It's interesting to explore the bones of one's brain now and again. 
 
(3) I run becuase I love-slash-hate the point I reach in a long run where part of my brain is screaming for mercy and to please pretty please stop before the next step, but the other, more dominant part of my brain overrides it, with patience and logic, reminding myself that the only way to be finished is to keep going, and what a sweet finish it will be. It's the only time, other than childbirth, where I become totally, completely unified mind-body-heart. Hard to describe. But kind of addicting.
 
(4) I run so I can eat what I want. Mmmmm...
 
(5) I run because it requires no membership or special equipment. One can do it anytime, anywhere. Annnd because, from start to finish, it's a calorie-burner.
 
(6) I run because it's hard and it's awesome. Especially when Coldplay sings in my ear.
 
Welp. The end. 

Thanks Brittney for writing this. If you like this, then refer to why others run. Why do you run? Want to write a similar feature here, just let me know.

13 comments:

  1. Ugh, just missed qualifying for Boston?!? I only know how that feels because if that happened to my husband (ironman in training), he'd be devastated!

    I can't wait till I'm at the point in my "running career" where I know how #3 feels. =)

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiffany, I thought the same thing when reading about Boston.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your blog through Brittney's - I love this post and can't wait to keep reading. Can I write a "why I run?" for you? My style blog is over at http://restonstyle.blogspot.com and my running one is http://missylizzylucy.tumblr.com (though it doesn't get a lot of attention from me recently)
    -Liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah Brittney! You are awesome! I can't run 2 feet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! My email is liz.badley(at)gmail(dot)com

    email me and I will work on a post for you :) Thanks!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally know what you mean about loving and hating it all at the same time. I'm exactly like that.
    Wearing It On My Sleeves

    ReplyDelete
  7. Peggy, Brittney is awesome.

    Sarah, how often do you run?

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is great. i totally i agree on her point of why she runs. i call it the ice cream for my soul. i can't wait to read more, maybe even i'll write about why i run too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this! Brittney is awesome, I'm glad you featured her.

    Granted, I can't run because I kind of hate it, but reading this makes me wish I liked it!

    Come take a look inside A Working Mom's Closet

    ReplyDelete
  10. Melissa, it is never too late to start running.

    Hedi, Thanks for stopping by. Let me know if you write why you run.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this... I have a similar relationship with running and would love to shar it:) Just let me know it that is possible.

    meg

    ashtonandmeghanyoung.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Meg, you can share it. Just email me because I can't find your email anywhere on your site.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I totally relate to points 4 and 5!! Yay for food and free exercising :)

    ReplyDelete