Friday, April 29, 2011

Friday Friday: Fitness and Fashion

This week Katy asked some questions about Fitness and that is one of my favorite topics so I couldn't miss out.
I already answered questions about fitness one other time.
1. Do you keep some kind of fitness routine? Why?
I do. Because I love exercising. I always mention what exercise I did in my blog posts but there have been plenty of times that I dedicated an entire post to a workout or workout goals. I keep a routine because I like data and I like to keep track of things and why not be consistent with something so important as your health.

2. Has working out, maybe training for a marathon or something of that nature, helped with your own perception of body image?
I don't think training or working out has trained my perception of my body image. I never really thought about it though. I have ups and downs but mostly ups but I was the same way before I started working out. Back when my knee was bad, I didn't exercise at all and didn't think anything different about my body image.  I think I analyze enough in my life that I haven't had time to dwell on my body image.

3. When you are hitting the gym or just going out for a long walk what do you wear? Is it about functionality or fashion?
I totally wear things for function. If you ever saw me you'd know I don't go for fashion. Sometimes by luck the stripe on my carpi pants will match the tank top. I have all solids besides 1 or 2 tanks and then the stripes on carpi pants so nothing is too bad.
When I am hitting the gym or doing anything outdoors I wear a tank top. At the gym I am in capri pants 90% of the time. If I am just running, I may wear shorts or a skirt thing.  If it is cold, I may wear pants.  If I'm running outside in the winter I wear my pants from Target and may layers on top. Usually the outer layer is a jacket. Now I think the jacket is trendy or something but I only bought it because the sleeve length was longer than the cheap jackets at target.  Usually I start with a tank top, then go with a long sleeve shirt, and then the jacket. Then I wear this neck warmer thing and a headband. If it is really cold I add a  hat on top of that.  I wear gloves that can cover or uncover the pointer and thumb so you can use your smart phone while running.
I wear champion socks (from Costsco)

4. Do you feel there is a cultural perception of what you ‘should’ be doing for your own physical fitness?
I feel like their is a perception. People thing girls should do cardio and guys should do weights or something like that. When I lift at the gym outside of Body Pump class there has only ever been 1 other female lifting at the same time. There are 20+ guys lifting each time I left.

5. Dream big… what would be your ultimate fitness goal?
I don't know. I change my mind.  I have a few goals but no ultimate fitness goals.
Short term goal: get knee better
Prior to my knee injury I had a goal of running a marathon but it wasn't even so much of a goal as just something I was doing. I never considered it a goal. Perhaps that is why I slacked at a lot of my training.
I did have a goal to get 24:30 in a 5k. That is a goal of mine. I do not know if it is an ultimate goal or not. My best race was almost 26 minutes last year so I have a ways to go. I did run in 22 or 23 minutes back in high school.
I have continuation goals of working out 6 days a week with cardio, strength, and yoga mixed in.
Last year my goal was to get a medal from a race. I ended up with 5. 1 was a finisher medal from the half marathon and the others were from placing in my age group (3) a 1 was winning a team race.  I also got a trophy.  My goal for this year is to place overall for females. I need to get or beat 24:30 for this at even the smallest of races locally so I need to work on it.
I want to be able to do 50 normal pushups in a minute. I never time myself so I don't know what I can do. I did 33 over a year ago in a minute. I do 70 or so girl pushups in a minute. I just need to move faster to get more.
Or can my ultimate goal actually be a goal for my husband because I have made a training plan for him and I ensure his form is good and keep him lifting?

2 comments:

  1. Girl, you seem to be way more in shape than me. Two years ago when I was participating in a bunch of things that required fitness, I'd say I was at my peak. I don't know that I want to be back there, but I definitely want to get back into some sort of routine.

    I hope your knee gets better. I messed up my ankle once before and that was rough. Best of luck. (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, girl!! Way to go with your medals last year!! Racing is so fun!! :)


    Krys
    Fierce|Fabulous|Fit
    @FierceFabFit

    ReplyDelete