Saturday, September 17, 2011

Body Pump Release 79 Summary

I haven't lifted in two weeks so I might have thought this was tougher than it was.  I was also dealing with different instructors to get used to.
BodyPump 79 Tracklist
Warmup: Higher – Logan S. feat. Mandy Brewer
Squats: Closer To The Edge – Mekon Garden
Chest: Party All Night (Sleep All Day) – Sean Kingston
Back: Written In The Stars (Sunny Dee Remix) – Jason Born
Triceps: Born This Way – Southern Light
Biceps: Livin’ On A Prayer – Altiyan Childs
Lunges: Grenade (Damn-R Mix) – Jason Born
Shoulders: J’Adore Hardcore (Extended Mix) – Scooter
Abdominals: We’ll Be Alright – Travie McCoy
Cooldown: The Crow & The Butterfly – Shinedown

I thought the warmup very similar to previous warmups.

Squats: I used the same weight that I had been using but I thought I should back down.  The first few squats were already challenging. I guess I was rusty.  I thought it was tough. There was a new "combination" this time around. It was 4 singles followed by 4 bottom halves.  I feel like it was going to be over and then we just had more rounds to go.

Chest: I used the same weight I had been using and realized it was the same as the male instructor and more than all the females in the room. I was just about to die and think I had to skip a rep and then it was over.  Perfect timing. I think some chest tracks have been worse. Granted I used to use a 5 and 2.5 (kg) on each side and the last 6 months or more I have been doing a 5 and a 1 on each side. It was a little harder to hear during this track so sometimes on the bottom half I went up the whole way. There was some confusion. Then I'd do a bottom half when we were to go up the entire way.

Back. There was a power press / triple row combo. I think this was similar to release 77.  I don't like it. Power pressing 3 times in a row just wears out my shoulders so they are too fatigued for the shoulder track later and then I don't feel the track as much in my shoulders. Then there were triple wide rows followed by 7 in a row. Then repeat it all.  The last set was much shorter. I actually expected more.  My back didn't feel much but my shoulders did.

Triceps: I used 5kg plates on each side of the bar. Sometimes I use a total of 6 on each side but I haven't been going so was worried I couldn't do it.  Plus the last few times the triceps tracks were hard and I only used 5. I struggled. Then we did dips. I didn't struggle with that. I did the dips with a 5kg plate on my lap. Then we did overhead extension. That was rough.

Biceps: The instructors encouraged everyone to sing along and most people did. (I did not because you will never catch me singing ever.) The choreography was easy and you just repeated it. I enjoyed that there weren't a ton of singles until the last set. There was a break in this track but it was so close to the end.  I was shocked at how I only skipped 1 rep through the entire thing. I didn't back down on weights so I figured for sure I would have to miss a bunch.

Lunges:  I only did Release 78 once and thought that lunge track was hard.  This track was harder. I backed down on weights since the last lunge track I did I thought I was going to wobble over. We started with squats, then lunges, then squats, then lunges.  You think that is normal so you think you might be done but note where were sets of lunges we each leg left. I'm not sure if it was longer or just felt that way because you went back and did each leg a second time.

Shoulders: We start with pushups. We also end with pushups.  For the first time since I've been doing pump we do a standing delt raise (well standing but leaning but I forget what they actually called it). They brought back the peck deck. I love it. I was glad there were no mac raises.  Then we ended with pushups but I was pretty fatigued (the back track didn't help) so I had to do them on my knees.

Abs: We hold the weight differently for the normal crunches. It's a reverse grip. It is a little challenging because it is something different. We then did a hover. That seemed challenging to me and it wasn't even over. We did a side plank then a side rotating plank (not sure the official name). It seemed hard to me and while I was there I thought about how I do 1 ab workout a month it seems anymore when I used to do 4 a week. I did have some trouble at first on the side plank because my shoe was sliding. It was below the mat. I took a couple seconds to slide the mat down more and then that was much better.

Cooldown: The cooldown is finally very different than past releases. We don't lie down on our backs at all. We start with a yoga pose while on our stomachs. The trouble with this was only that the mats were very thin and when doing the  hip flexor stretch with your knee on the ground, it hurt my knee.  Most of the stretches we done standing.

I have no idea how the instructors do  it.  Some of them taught class last night so they taught a 6 PM class with one release and then a 9am class with another release. Lifting so close together is hard on their muscles and then multiple releases so close together is probably difficult for their memories.

I went to Studio Fit today for the first time to get this class.  Two of three instructors had worked at the gym I belong to at one time so that was familiar. It was odd to me that the entire class was females.

Note: I'm not an instructor and only went once so this summary is based on memory.  I did look up the track list though because I wouldn't remember that sort of thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment