Saturday, August 7, 2010

Summer Black-out

In late June, I participated in Summer Black-out. It started out as a week, but I seemed to do it for more than a week.
There were only 9 pictures. I actually wore a khaki skirt and blue shirt (not the khaki skirt in the pictures above and not the blue shirt either) but I forgot to take my picture that day. The first picture is repeated at the end because that is how picasa does it.

I enjoyed not wearing black and barely wore it all summer. I think I only wore my black pants once and my black skirt a few times.  I seem to keep misplacing my black shirts so that made it easy not to wear them.  I actually didn't wear black on the weekends but the pictures weren't as nice so I didn't include them in the summary.  View my calendar site for what I wore all days.  The calendar is an easy way to get a quick view of all my outfits.

Sally went the entire summer without wearing black and has a nice recap of her experience.

When I started the challenge, I didn't know if there was a purpose, I just thought it would be fun to do. I liked doing it because it gave me something to do with my outfits besides just looking at my entire closet and grabbing something.  I used to wear black all the time and basically lived in black pants. I loved that I stopped wearing so much black.  I never got so many compliments on my outfits as I did this summer. Many of the things I wore, I had for years so I had worn them before but they were just always worn with black or were barely noticed with all the boring outfits I was wearing.  I just skimmed through some months in 2006 to see what I had been wearing and maybe I didn't wear black daily but it was always black or brown even in the summer months. Now I wear a wider variety of clothes and colors. Also I have expanded my jewelry collection and actually wear what I have.  I wear this one pink necklace now at least every other week and I have had the necklace for 4 years and 3 months and probably only started wearing it 3 months ago.

At first with the Black-out I didn't realize you could wear black or have black in patterns. The skirt above that is white with black embroidery was actually my first day after the black-out was over but that was barely any black and the next few days I didn't wear black so I left it in.

I think my next goal should be to try to wear everything in my closet or maybe to get rid of the 20 pairs of shoes that I have and won't wear because they hurt my feet.

I read 10 Fashion Don'ts today and they specifically say not to wear red pants to work. I disagree with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment