Monday, April 18, 2011

Meghan on Why I Run

Hi, my name is Meghan from Forever Young at ashtonandmeghanyoung.blogspot.com, I am a runner. 
     How did I come into this and why?  First, let me start off by saying that running has never come easy for me.  I am short, 5 feet and a bit short, so my running stride isn't the longest.  I also have bad feet, really my podiatrist personally told me that I do. Yet short legs and bad feet I still run. This is why. When I was a freshman in college and going through some difficult self doubting times, like we all do sooner or later, one day I got up and I decided I wasn't going to doubt myself anymore.  I was going to be happy and confident in whatever endeavors life lead me to or I led myself to.  I knew to keep this commitment I needed to stretch myself, to push myself, to prove myself.  So I did the only logical thing, I signed up for a marathon.  What???? I had never run a single race in my life, in fact I don't think I had even run a consecutive 5 miles. I began my training right off the bat. It was hard and painful. I wanted to quit so many times, but still I kept putting one foot in front of the other until I was ready for the Marathon.  On the day of the big event I was ready and excited, and when the starting sound went off I began with the thousand others running that day.  I had no idea that at mile 13 I would break my Sesamoid bone in my right foot and acquire a blister the size of Texas on my left. Still I ran.  I was in so much pain, but I kept putting one foot in front of the other.  I am somewhat of a stubborn mule I guess you could say, but I need finish this race. I needed to prove to myself that I could do anything. By mile 19 the pain in my broken foot was so great that I went into robot mode, I had to detach myself from my body. Somehow, I was able to sprint down the finish line.  The most amazing feel filled my body and spirit when I crossed that line.  It was something that I would never forget, still haven't.  Although I still run for that initial commitment to myself I have acquired new reasons as well.  Seeing as how they each have their own story, I figure I will list them in bullets to save you some time. So here it is.

 Why I run:
I run to feel alive and young.
I run to show appreciation for movement.
I run to take care of my body.
I run for energy.
I run to stay sane, it really is my own personal dose of medication everyday.
I run to have "ME" time.
I run to feel free.
I run to have a moment when all I have to do is put one foot in front of the other, no thinking required.
I run to think and problem solve.
I run to escape
I run to reach my second wind and go past it.
I run because after the initial pain, it feels great.
I run to feel powerful.
I run to push myself.
I run for me!
Why do you run?
Meg

Thanks Meg for writing this. If you like this, then refer to why others run. Why do you run? Want to write a similar feature here, just let me know.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, this is super inspirational because I'm short too :D If you can do it, maybe I can do it! (And wow, running almost half a marathon on a broken foot?! That's impressive.)

    ReplyDelete