Monday, July 5, 2010

I ran a race - Race for Virginia

My time was awful, yet I came in 2nd for my age group.  I ran the same race I ran last year. Last year it was my first race after knee surgery and I had only been running for about a week.
I did over 5 minutes better this time around.
I ran with my phone this time since I always run with my phone and notice when I don't have it, then I don't know what to do with my hand.

I used iMapMyRun during the race. I sometimes use it. It never saves right anymore so boy am I glad I took these screen shots on my phone. 

I wanted to hit 25 minutes and figured I would get 25:30 though. 
Well halfway through I was on par for 25 minutes. I was excited about this. 

As you can see I did not keep on pace.  It was so hot and the entire run was in the sun. I thought last year around the buildings was in the shade but I guess not. 

I typed up the stats from iMapMyRun where I took screen shots. Notice I progressively got worse.  I shouldn't use the screen shots that are so close together because I didn't click the screen shot right at the change in distance so then ti's a little off.  Since that table is fully cluttered I made a mile splits little box at the bottom (the third mile is a little off because it was 1.01 instead of 1 but I didn't adjust the numbers). 
The final time is from the official results and not the app because I didn't take a screen shot when I was saving it and I got through 4 steps in the process of saving it and still lost it. I hate the app or something.

There are plenty of times that I run faster than this but there are not plenty of times I run in the heat with times better than this. Actually there are 0. 

I ran over 5 minutes better than last year. Last year I started much further back and it took me 10-20 seconds just to cross the start line.

I can run 5 miles at about the pace I run 3.  I'm not sure what to do to work on speed. I want to though. I even did a decent amount of intervals since my last race and did worse than my last race.  I think while I'm running I just move my legs instead of pushing off but when I do intervals I push off. I need to think about it more. I wish I could run with someone to keep pushing me.  You'd think I'd be improving since March. I was 4 seconds better than in March and in March the hills were way worse on that course.  What do you think I should do?  How should I adjust my workout?  I am also still training for a half marathon September 11 so I have to get more distance runs in. I have 3 weeks until another 5k. I hear it is a hilly course. I need to do better. I want to improve my 30 seconds over my Mars Band 5k time. 

Brie came to the race :) 
Dave did not come to the race :(

Brie took lots of pictures.  It was rough too with how awful the sun was. Here are a few. 
Christina and I before we ran
The electronics I run with
Stretching near the start line
Everyone lined up
About 10 seconds into the race
About 26:00 into the race
Also about 26:00 into the race
Just seconds after finishing
Christina and I after we ran (note all that stupid sun) 
3rd, 2nd, and 1st for my age group
I got a gift card too
Wearing my medal.
After the race, Dan came over to say hi. Dan ran the Laurel Highlands Ultra with Callie. We talked for a little while. Dan's wife was the lady that we talked to at the aid stations and stuff. It was so odd to see him. I thought it was him but thought that I must be wrong and there was no way but then he came up to me and we talked. It is neat to run into people at races. 

I was listening to the radio before the race and it died. My car would need to be jumped after. Brie had jumper cables and we took care of it. Some guy came to help at one point. His wife offered.  We could have done it without him but it was better to be sure.  Except he hooked ground up to the battery instead of to the frame of the car. I never did it like that before.

4 comments:

  1. - There seem to have been quite a few people at this race.

    - Your 10-seconds-in picture looks like good form.

    - I learned how to jump start cars in the opposite order that you did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do you mean in the opposite order I did?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh. I always hooked the ground wire up to the ground post on the battery, and was surprised later when I learned you could put it on the frame of the car.

    I wish this website wouldn't make me log in and prove that I'm not a robot every time I make a reply.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It makes me click my profile but it remembers my password and then I have to type a stupid word. I hate that. I liked LJ but then more people read this than read LJ. This looks prettier than LJ but I could have probably worked to make my LJ not ugly.

    ReplyDelete