Thursday, February 2, 2012

5 miles (2.2.12)

Jen and I ran after work again today.  We didn't want to run more than 5 miles so we decided to switch it up.  We parked at the boathouse but left the parking lot in the opposite direction and then ran the big hill.  We ran out 2.6 miles then we turned around and headed back.  We ran the entire way. We had a goal of 10:30-11:00 pace (or maybe it was 10:30-10:45 pace). The goal was to be in that range and take it slow.  Sometimes it is hard to slow down.  Also there are times each mile gets progressively worse and we did not want that to happen.

I told Jen we should push it the last half mile. (I actually told her this while we were still at work.)  I probably mentioned it again around mile 4 and she said she didn't think so. ha. She did. Look at that last mile time.

The weather forecast called for 43.  It was much colder than that.  Then the windchill was colder. It got even worse as we ran because of the lack of sun.  We did finish in the daylight but still it was getting colder.

This is the first time we ran the entire way for 5 miles.  Last weekend when 6 of us ran, our last mile split was also 9:51. Talk about consistency.  We ran:walked that and our pace was 10:07.  We ran walked on 1/24 and our pace was 10:17 and on 1/10 it was 10:17.  That is some evidence that the run:walk method actually allows you to go faster. I think it feels easier too.  But it also feels like cheating.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think I can commit to speeding up at the end ahead of time. :) I'm glad we did, though! I was surprised I was able to.

    ReplyDelete