Monday, December 13, 2010

What I didn't do this year

In case anyone was thinking I'm a big slacker at work and don't put in more than my fair share, I thought I would  share some things that I missed out on/didn't do this holiday season because of work.
  1. I didn't put up my Christmas Tree
  2. I didn't put up any of my decorations inside besides hanging two wreathes. Also I didn't put up all decorations outside either.
  3. I did not make all the cookies I planned to make to take to the in-laws this past weekend.
  4. I did not get together with my friend to write Christmas cards
  5. I did not write Christmas cards [yet]
  6. I did not make enough Christmas Cards
  7. I did not finish shopping for presents. 
  8. I barely started shopping. 
  9. I only shopped on-line.
  10. I have missed more workouts in a week than I want to miss in a month. 
  11. The workouts I didn't miss, were cut short.
  12. I did not arrive on-time to a club function and I left before everyone else left.
  13. My laundry has piled up.
  14. I have not gotten to scan the box of pictures I got from my aunt.
  15. I didn't get to complain to BodyMedia Fit about how their sensor doesn't upload to my new computer. 
  16. I didn't even get to order a new armband after the Velcro broke on my armband.
  17. I have not gotten to post all of my daily outfits.
  18. I have not gotten to post all of my ideas that are in my blog notebook (5 pages)
  19. I have missed far too many posts the past few weeks to satisfy my goal of posting one post a day.
  20. I am so behind on all my blog reading.
  21. I am extremely behind on my TV shows.
  22. My house is a mess.
  23. I did not get to have a Christmas Party this year. 
There is probably more, but that is enough.{by that I mean there is a lot more, but I won't bore you with it all.} I cannot take how busy I have been.  I was up until past 2am working last night.  I made my 30 for 30 FYI post while I was trying to shut down my computer.

Everyone is probably busy. I know this. I just hate it. It's no fair that work tries to get everything done before the holidays when everyone has a ton of vacation days for the holidays and also when everyone is super busy with their own lives and family functions around the holidays.  I often hear at work that we are supposed to have a work-life balance. I don't even know how people do that without sleeping too little. 

Are the holidays busier this year than normal? How did you get through your busiest holiday season?  If you have any tips for how to not let work overwhelm, I'd really like to hear them. 

6 comments:

  1. I had to learn to say "no,can't do it" both for social stuff and work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. holy gaucamole, girlfriend, you need to take a break after the new years! I know I've been super run down this holiday season, but that's my own fault for getting a second job! I've been super busy at work, but that's normal - since I work at a very seasonal-oriented place, we do all of our seasonal hiring in january-march, so this is when we get ready for it - plus since I work in HR we've been working on our company christmas gift and party like crazy - it's nuts! As a matter of fact on my drive home I realized that I should have my coworker's Christmas gifts for them tomorrow since it's our department Christmas lunch, but considering I'm making them homemade bread I don't think it's going to happen - so they'll just get it late.

    Maybe see if you can take a random Monday off after the holidays? I took last Friday off and it was AMAZING to not have to do work...and I really did - I didn't even check my email once!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This makes me a little sad! But the good news is that Christmas doesn't need a tree, or decorations, or even cards and gifts... it will still come and be just as great, and hopefully you can relax. :-)

    We are super busy too this year, but I think after this week things should settle down... I just have to make sure I have gifts in line and bake stuff on the right nights!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brie, I said I couldn't do the work stuff. Nobody believed me.

    Ashley, I often took random vacation days in previous years. Those are the best. Even a half day is very nice if it is impromptu. Like if I'm at work and at like 11 think I want to take a half day and make it work and then I leave by noon or so.

    At least you make them something.

    Usually I'm the one that organizes gifts for our admin. I guess I should have listed that up there. I didn't do it this year. I have a new admin and a new group so they don't know I have done it in the past. Guess I'll have to figure out what to give on my own.

    My company doesn't give me a gift. We have a Christmas party at lunch but we have to bring the food. So really we get nothing. Some managers give their people something but none of the last 5 managers I've had do that.

    BTW I keep seeing that picture of the tree last year and really wish my tree was up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I had some good suggestions for you, but I think rushing around and cramming stuff in is just part of the holiday season! One thing I do try and do is run errands after work (xmas shopping, grocery shopping, etc) so I have more time on the weekends to do projects - like decorate a tree and wrap presents. This works about half the time. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chrissy, I like to run errands after work but if I go to the gym after work, I leave in my gym clothes and don't want to be seen in public. Sometimes I think I should just shower there so I can do errands. In the morning, I shower at the gym.

    I feel like I haven't even gone grocery shopping. This could be why I don't have any food to eat.

    ReplyDelete