Monday, December 20, 2010

Body and Face Shape: My Dilemmas

I previously wrote a post about vanity sizing. Now I'd like to discuss body and face shape and the dilemmas associated with those.

This idea came about because in the same shopping trip I was trying on boots and trying on skinny jeans.  My calves are too small for boots and too large for skinny jeans. What gives?

I know there are many types of face shapes:
  • oval
  • round
  • oblong
  • square
  • heart
  • diamond
  • triangular
Descriptions also have a sketch showing the face shape and it is extremely easy to tell what they mean. Then I get to looking at my face and can't tell.  I would like to know because I've also read that based on your face shape, you should wear certain kinds of earrings. I like long earrings. I wonder if that is what would look best.  What face shape do you think I have?  Do you wear the appropriate earrings based on the suggestions (in the links above and in many another sites)? 

Now we move onto body types.  There are body type calculators out there.
source
Here is a second calculator.  Just in the course of this post, I have done 3 calculators and gotten 3 different types.  Perhaps this is why I am confused. Do you specifically know your body type? 

Now there are all these sites out there explaining the different body types, yet most clothes don't have options. In the last few years, stores are starting to carry curvy, slim, and regular jeans. I think this is great to accommodate the different body types.   Sometimes curvy isn't even curvy enough but it is a start.

From what I can tell body types focus on bust, hips, and waist. Where do legs or arms come in?

I'm still waiting for them to have boots sold by shoe size and calf size.  I have not found a single person that can pick up a boot in her shoe size and it fits her legs.  I have some friends that the calf is too tight. I have other friends that the calves are too big.  I have other friends that the calf may fit but the ankle is incredibly huge.  I fit into the latter two almost all the time.  I have a larger size foot than most of my friends so that is why the calf is too big for me. Some of my friends have slender legs and that's why the calves don't fit them.  

I've tried on skinny jeans over the past few years, mostly by accident, because I never wanted to buy them. Well recently, I've wanted some to wear under boots.  I can never get the skinny jeans over my calves which is quite funny since my calves are too small for boots. I performed a little test recently and tried on a few sizes.  My calves would require me to purchase pants 2 sizes too big.    Skinny jeans should have options too.  I guess you can get some designer jeans and they might be more custom but I have not looked into those yet. 

Does anyone else have all these sizing woes?  What are your biggest frustrations? 

My clothing complaints:
  • Sleeve length is always too short if the body of the shirt fits properly
  • Pants are too short
  • Boots don't fit my ankles
  • Skinny jeans don't fit my calves
  • Gaping at the back of my jeans
  • My butt being so big that my jeans barely go over them (or OK this one is probably the zipper should go down a little bit more.)
  • My ankles are too large for some ankle bracelets
  • My ankles are too skinny for boots.
  • Most shirts I try on are huge at the armpit area. 
  • Button down shirts have wings.
What other complaints do you have?

Even though I have many complaints, my advice is know your body and know which stores fit the best. Stick to those stores.  Victoria's Secret pants fit me the best so I wear those the most. Next time I buy dress pants, I will be getting them from Victoria's Secret; I'm just unhappy with the fit from other stores. Since we are all built slightly different, I'm sure you have a different favorite store.  Research online to find stores that fit your problem. I researched Long pants a few years ago and that helped. Now a lot more places have longs so that is easier.  Google is your friend. Reviews online are also your friend.

9 comments:

  1. Interesting! I have no idea what shape my face or body is. I'm guessing I'm a pear, as I've got some junk in the trunk. I also like long earrings, and I think they look lovely on you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't worry too much about face shape stuff - I just know what works and what doesn't, so I don't care what stylists or magazines say. I know I have a petite hourglass shape, though (my hips and bust are almost the exact same circumference, and my waist is 10 inches smaller, and I'm short - 5'3").

    I can NEVER find button ups that work. Since I have such a large chest (34D) and a small frame, if they fit my bust they don't fit anywhere else. I tend to stick with seperates as oppose to dresses because dresses are difficult for me to find that fit.

    My biggest compaint is defintley the button ups, though. I always get pants shortened, and I frequently take waists in on skirts and dresses. I'm lucky in that MOST petite sized clothing fits me well.

    I don't wear slacks anymore, but I have several pairs from the limited that fit me well.

    Boots and skinny jeans always fit me well - I guess I have an average sized calf for a size 6.5 shoe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost always get banana/ruler/straight/bean-pole (although no matter what I put in to that second calculator, it said some kind of hourglass; I think that's off, because looking at me, you'd never think hourglass was the right one).

    I have a heck of a time with clothes, too, because at 5'3" and 100 lbs, my measurements are 35 (but an 'A' cup, because I'm burly-of-shoulder but small-of-knocker), 25-26, and 33. Arms are always too short, and usually have pulling across the shoulders. I normally just by the smaller thing and deal with it feeling too tight on the shoulders, because everything else looks right, and you can't really tell unless I would try to hulk-flex or something. I realize this is the opposite of what I should do, but I hate when things are baggy, and it doesn't help that the closest tailor is 60 miles away. Probably should invest in a sewing machine.

    Never thought about face shape. I don't think it matters with earrings so much, but then again, I have almost no fashion sense.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I often wonder if there is an awesome earring style out there that I don't wear but that would be awesome with my face shape. I've even seen magazines with entire sections devoted to earring selection. I just never look at them good enough.

    I sometimes get pear or hour-glass. My hips are bigger than my chest but there is still a 10 inches difference between my bust at waste (sometimes). I'm a little gutty now so my waist in an inch bigger.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm technically an "eight" shape because I'm close to an hourglass, but I have a belly. I used to be a true hourglass, and man, that was awesome, but now I am not, and nothing fits.

    My face shape is round, and yours I would call oval.

    I have shared my sizing woes with you before - I have every possible trouble with trying to find pants, button down shirts are a nightmare, calf-sizes are never reliable (either too big or too small), and shirts are always too short or too long.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have no idea what my face shape is. I think my body shape is straight (banana? never heard that one) because I barely have a waist--when I was getting sized for my wedding dress my bust measurement said size 2, my hip measurement size 4, and my waist measurement size 12! I have been lucky to find a few gems that work for me every time (j.crew shirts and BR Ryan fit slacks) and just stick with those. I do get annoyed when everything else fits but I can't button pants or a skirt because it's cut for a curvier woman.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Angeline, I was very straight until recently. Like maybe until I turned 25. Maybe you will change.
    I never heard of banana until I was looking up shapes for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh and my waist used to also be a size 12 while my hips were a 2 or 4. At that time when I realized that, I asked my friend to tell me if her hips and waist were the same. They were.

    I'm not sure how sizing charts have changed but that was 3+ years ago.

    Back then I learned hip huggers were my friend. Low Rise pants are also my friend because I'm shot waisted so lower rise seems to elongate my torso and it looks better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brie, I don't even think I heard of eight shape.

    ReplyDelete