Sunday, March 13, 2011

First 15 Mile Run EVER!

Today I ran with Christina at North Park. We ran 2 loops together and then I ran a third loop.  We started at 7:30 this morning which was tough due to the clock change. It was so hard waking up when it was so dark.

Each 5 Mile Loop
10:52:41
20:51:50
30:50:41

After the first loop, Christina offered me one of those gel things to eat but it was so awful last time that I didn't want it. Then she offered to share her little gummy things with me for energy. Those were much better. I need to buy myself some of those.  They were a little hard on my jaw but I think it was because of the 33 degree weather.

I did not run 15 continuous miles because after 5 miles and after 10 miles, I stopped for water and to eat those gummy things. Based on my garmin data, I think each break was about 3 minutes.  While I was stopped, my muscles got cold so I had to bounce around and stretch before getting started again.

Christina had a long list of things to do today and specific times for certain things so she did not have time to run the last lap.
DistanceSplitSum
110:3610:36
210:4621:22
310:4932:11
410:1642:27
510:1452:41
610:171:02:58
710:111:13:09
810:231:23:32
910:211:33:53
1010:381:44:31
1110:191:54:50
1210:012:04:51
1310:302:15:21
1410:132:25:34
1509:382:35:12
Avg pace10:21
I did some math in my head and figured out that I wanted each mile at 10:30 in order to beat my last 5 mile loop time.  I was pretty sure that math was wrong (it was) so I needed to be even faster than that but I thought it was still a good number to have in my head. It was because my third loop did beat my second loop.

Post-run picture
While running, I decided I wanted to run the last mile in under 10 minutes.  My second .25 in that mile was 2:36 and I thought there was no way I'd make it up since the first .25 was at 2:28 and that was on the level not the uphill. I almost gave in then and started jogging slower, but then I didn't because I knew I'd post about it on this here blog and then everyone would know I gave up early thinking I would fail. Well I didn't give up and then I not only met my goal but beat it by over 20 seconds!

The entire last lap was pretty boring running myself. The entire time I either said good morning to people running the opposite way or did math in my head. I did math about my current run, future runs, total mileage for the week, previous runs, time of day, etc.  I'm pretty sure doing math isn't normal. I was told once that I might run faster if I quit wasting my brain on doing math and make it focus on running fast.  That might be true. But then again, if I didn't do math, I might get too bored and stop. How do you occupy your time while you are running?

I thought I'd end up having to walk during the run but I did not. I didn't plan to stop so long between loops though. During the last loop there was a little sleet/rain but not much and it only lasted a few minutes.  When we started running it was 36 degrees with a RealFeel of 31 and when I finished running it was 36 degrees with a RealFeel of 33 according to my Accuweather app.

With this 15 mile run, my weekly mileage was 24.6 miles. That's the most I've had of any week. My previous high was 21.25. This week should have been 24 (due to the long run being 10 miles even though last week the long run should have been 13 miles.)


During the third loop I didn't follow the path exactly and went straight a few times the path curved in. I figured it was OK because the Garmin's data doesn't guess how I ran and it knows how I did it.  (Loop 1 was 5.01, loop 2 was 5.01 but loop 3 was just 5.0)

13 comments:

  1. YAY! Great job! I am so excited to see that you got to do the run!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, here you had to go and make me be inspired to train, again. Now I'm sore from running not-even-close-to-that-far. #slackingsincechristmas

    That's a big milestone (pun sort-of intended).

    How do you occupy your time while you are running?

    While practicing: watching the dogs do funny stuff (one plus to living close to a lot of wilderness is you can let them off-leash and mostly get away with it).

    While racing: talking to people (if it's an ultramarathon), or strategizing/calculating numbers in my head; in shorter races there is no time to think; people have suggested an iPod for the long ones, but I hate stuff hanging off of me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also - I'd been meaning to ask you, do you have a CamelBak? Because they can be lifesavers. Or at least save you from having to take breaks (although sometimes a break is nice).

    (I take one on any run that's planned to be 80 minutes or longer, mostly because of the risk of blood sugar getting too low, which is probably higher in my case than yours, but still. Good oooooool' electrolytes.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have a camelbak. I've thought of it but remembered how you couldn't wear yours with a tank top or it rubbed and I didn't want rubbing.
    I don't think my blood sugar drops but it might because I get lightheaded after runs and that's back when I didn't run a lot so maybe I'd get lightheaded during.

    I used to hate running with people because I'd go faster alone because nobody faster than me would want to run with me and I could only get those slower than me. and I didn't want to talk. but now the runs are too long and boring.

    I decided I'm signing up for the 30k next weekend instead of the half marathon. I better sign up before registration is closed though. I'm not looking forward to the last 3 miles ending going up a hill though.

    Ugh my weekly mileage so far is 3.81... I need to do that race Saturday and a long run Sunday.
    I'm stressing myself out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've gotta say, I'm excited to hear about that 30k. You're a brave broad. (I am also partial to encouraging people to do longer and longer things, even if just out of morbid curiosity, though.)

    You can do that. The race Saturday and long run Sunday thing. Pretty standard operating procedure, actually.

    The CamelBak almost never bothers me, but I also live where it's cold enough that I'm almost never wearing a tank top. I've done 3-hr runs with one in just a sports bra, though, so it's possible, and not as bad as you'd think. Any longer than that and you'd probably want more protection from the straps.

    Also, my CamelBaks are big. Both of them are 2 liters, I think. I'm going to start using the smaller ones this year, though, because I almost never drink all that before an aid station or on a training run. Right now I use these: http://tinyurl.com/4v62n46 but am probably going to get two of these, instead: http://tinyurl.com/463yb9a

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your encouragement is a reason I thought I should do it plus that weekend I should run 16 miles and if I do the half marathon I won't get a long enough run in.

    I want to buy a vest to wear. I still haven't.

    I also want to lose this 6 lbs that I gained the past year since half marathon training last year. I keep hearing they tell people to lose 5 lbs and it's easier to run any people. i gained weight. I did it wrong.
    I also mainly want to do the 30k because that sounds more impressive than a half marathon when I tell people.

    Last year I ran the 5k this weekend and then the next day I ran over 9 miles and that was my longest run ever by 2 miles so I think I can do it easy. I'm just not sure how well I'll run.
    Also I haven't lifted in over a week and that makes me mad. then I missed so many days that I keep not wanting to go back or I'll be too sore to run. So I have to lift this coming Monday or I won't lift before the 30k for fear of being sore.
    From May to September I wear a tank top with each run.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think if you keep up your training volume and don't use the, "I just ran 14 miles so now I can eat more than I normally would," strategy, any weight things will take care of themselves. I know once I get into shape I can pretty much stop looking at the scale (and I have to watch now, since insulin makes my metabolism more like a normal person's, so I can't get away with eating whatever I want, anymore; a lot of people forget that, and think, "That Callie is just skinny," but I'm sure I'm just preaching to the choir with that).

    Maybe you can lift on Saturday after the 5k, then again on Monday, so at least you get two days.

    I think I also don't like tank tops because if they have built-in sports bras, that bugs me, so I still would probably avoid them. A shirt like that one you gave me because you hated it would probably work perfectly, though (ironically). Wider over the shoulders. The other thing you could do is try one of those waist belts with water bottles. Maybe you'd tolerate them better than I do. I tried to wear one one time and took it off within the first 15 minutes of a marathon. Then somebody stole the bottles and I just gave it away. Waste of a good 30 bucks.

    I coveted a Garmin for a long time, but after finally saving up to buy one and discovering that its battery would only last 8 hours, I stopped coveting. Pretty useless for races that are 15+ hours long. I don't like to know how fast I'm going on training runs because it stresses me out, and I can tell a lot by how I feel. Like the other day I ran for an hour and could tell it was fast, but I don't want to know how fast. Plus it would've been discouraging to compare that distance to today, which wasn't fast.

    Sometimes I just count out the minutes on interval runs because I avoid watches so much. But this is mostly primarily because I forgot a watch. One time I did this and checked the watch when the intervals were over and I was within three seconds of the correct time just with counting. I think sometimes it's good to do that to check how good you are with pacing yourself.

    I'm glad you have this blog, by the way. Very few other things can get me to be motivated about running, and I like to be able to try returning the favor, at least with comments.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I ran 15 miles, I ate normal that day. So I thought that was good. But then I was sore the next day and had a rest day (and a lazy day) and ate a normal amount and that normal amount was more calories than I burned.

    I could even do Arms lifting one day and legs another. I'm not sure if I'll be able to lift on Monday if I'm sore from another long run.

    For tank tops, only 3 of my 20 or so have built in bras.

    Comments make me happy. They are like presents.

    When I do intervals on the track, I shoot for a time and I can always get within a second of it (unless it is pushing myself on too many 400s). The 800 I was pretty good at guessing too but I get tired and my ability to pace myself for going too fast.

    I really wish I didn't slack at doing my shin exercises the past 2.5 weeks. Now walking around and up the stairs this morning my shins are hurting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, I haven't been keeping up with the shin/ankle things, either. Better start I guess. Especially since once the snow is gone I'm switching to the shoes that have virtually no arch support. Getting strong enough to race in those can take hours off an ultra time, I hear.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's so funny that you talk in taking 2 hours off your race time when most people don't run a race for 2 hours total.

    ReplyDelete