Wednesday, January 26, 2011

First Outside Run of 2011

I ran today because it was 32 degrees and I could not pass that up. It might have even been 33. It was also only slightly windy.

I used my Garmin 110 for the first time. Let me just say... LOVE.  I also used iMapMyRun in case I screwed things up with the watch. Well the app did not start right and didn't register me for over 2 minutes :(  I haven't used MapMyRun.com in so long that it is totally different than it was last time I looked at it.

I haven't mastered the website for the Garmin data but I still have time.   I took some screen shots of a little bit of what I saw. I could also export some stuff too.
This picture is awesome. You click play and you can watch it move across here and also move across the map so you can see where the peaks and valleys are on the map. Pretty neat.
BTW my plan was to do 2.5 miles. My training plan did say to do 4, but I didn't think I'd make that.  As I was running, I thought I could add a little bit. Around 2.8 miles I got a side cramp. I was going to stop when I got home. That would have been close to 3 miles. I wanted to go a little more so I ran around the block once and quit. If I would have done it again, I would have beat the training plan schedule for once. Oh well. At least I know that being able to run outside gets me out of my running rut. I hate the treadmill, but I also hate the cold. Also, my asthma does not like the cold.  
I changed the lap to .25 since I wouldn't be running that far and I love data so why not get it as often as possible. 1/4 of a mile is the lowest increment it'll give me automatically. 
Do you have a Garmin?  What do you think?

Do you prefer outdoor running to treadmills or don't you care?






I hope the weather is good for me to be able to run outside Sunday.

6 comments:

  1. That is pretty cool to be able to track your run and get data. I definitely prefer outdoor running to a treadmill (kills my knees either way though).

    The 2-3 mile cramp is classic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adam, Killed my knee for 3 years and I didn't run, but then I couldn't walk so ended up with knee surgery. Knees are great now. But surgery isn't permanent and eventually will need it again. Someone else I know said his wife has that surgery every couple years. I hope it is a lot longer than that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love my Garmin! The best part is knowing my mileage. I used to plot out my runs before I left the house and then I was stuck on that route. Now I feel so free when I run!

    Oh, and I definitely prefer outdoor running! Treadmills are boring and I feel like I run so much slower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chirssy, I would use imapmyrun so I could alter a route while I was out. But sometimes the software went crazy and then I hated it. Also sometimes it wouldn't save. Or if it reset midrun, I just wanted to quit and turned around and headed home.

    I have a good 2.5 mile loop around my house. I have a bad 4 mile loop (bad = 1 mile uphill that is the worst), I have side streets and plans to add in or do, but now I can go further and not worry about the specifics of having to do something I know just because if it resets I'll have to remember.
    I can't remember. I run races and there is no way I can ever remember the course unless it is the course that I basically run on everyday. The 2.5 mile loops is part of a 5k course (that I'm so mad I can't run this year)... talk about home field advantage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chrissy, Do you do anything cool with your data? Export it? Tabulate it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is interesting APP, I will try it some day.

    ReplyDelete