Saturday, February 19, 2011

Christine on Why I run

Chrissy 23 miles into the Houston Maraton
Hello Scrap and Run readers! My name is Chrissy and I blog at The New Me. My blog is mostly about my adventures with running, recipes, and trying to survive East Texas. A few weeks ago Colleen asked if I'd be interested in writing a guest post about running to help keep her motivated, and I immediately said yes. Actually writing the post was not quite so immediate, but better late than never, right? I decided to take my inspiration for this post from KendiEveryday's "Why I Remix" series. And so, without further ado: 

Why I Run 

I've never been a natural when it comes to running. In third grade, I failed my physical fitness test and had to do a year in remedial gym. My exercise routine consisted of aerobics classes and workout DVDs - I needed someone in front of me, telling me what to do and leading me along. And that was fine - until I discovered running. 

I've only been running for three years, but in that time I've completed numerous 5K's, three half marathons, and two full marathons. In the beginning, running wasn't easy. I still remember how hard it was to run for a full minute, the elation I felt when I ran my first mile without stopping, and the thrill of crossing the finish line of my first 5K. I never thought I'd be a runner, but today I'm proud to carry that title. 

But the reasons I run are deeper than a simple feeling of accomplishment. They're bigger than the extra energy I have, the muscles in my calves, and the need to have second helpings every night. I run because when I'm out on the trail or on the street, my legs moving and my heart pounding, I feel a freedom I've never known before. 

We all have busy lives. I work full time, I have two large and demanding dogs, I'm in a long term relationship, I write stories and take classes and cook and blog. I often find myself taking care of everyone else first and putting myself last. But when I pull on my sneakers and the faded t-shirt from my first 5K and head out the door, I know that the next hour is about me. What I love, what I need. I'm carrying myself forward with my own might. I'm pushing myself as hard as I need to. I have goals that matter to no one but myself. When I run, I run through a world built and created by my own strength and passions. Once upon a time running as a painful sentence, something I did because I felt I had to. Now, it's an opportunity I can't afford to pass up. 

That's why I run. What's your reason? 


Thanks Chrissy for writing this. Just reading this got me re-motivated to get back to running.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks again for asking me to guest post, Colleen! It was an honor. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chrissy, Thanks again for doing it. It motivated me this weekend... so the purpose of it worked. I also love how you did it like Kendi does her Why I remix.

    ReplyDelete