Monday, February 28, 2011

Go The Distance

So I've been following FatGirlVsWorld and decided to join in on her Go the Distance exercise Challenge.  You make your own goal and document it and then you get to achieve it (hopefully).

For March I chose 80 miles running and 20 on the exercise bike.   Now my BEST month in the past was about 45 miles so we will see how this goes.

In September I wrote about my exercising and how much I had done and how I felt like a slacker. Well March will be different. I have roughly 2 months to train for the marathon because the last two weeks are taper weeks. I am so behind and don't know if I can do it.

Also while training for a marathon, I need to train for 5ks.  5ks are more speed and marathons (and anything over 10 miles) is for distance. Can I do both at the same time?

Right now I want to follow Hal Hidgon's marathon training plan but I'm doing horribly at it. I follow it 2-4 days a week with usually 2 of those days being rest days. I get in roughly 1/3 the miles that I should get in.

Motivate me.

4 comments:

  1. You can do it, Colleen! For your first marathon, don't set a time goal. Just focus on finishing! Anything is a PR when it's your first time. :)

    I think two months is enough time to get to marathon distance. You're already up to 10 miles. Just make sure you do all your long runs from here on out and try to do at least 2 shorter runs during the week. I usually only run 3 times a week and it has worked out okay so far.

    Also focus on how awesome you'll feel when you finish the marathon! I often think about crossing the finish line of my marathon when I'm bored or feeling down, and it never fails to cheer me up. It's like my secret super power. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the first time I completed a 10k I felt so accomplished. I remember being disappointed with my half time and my foot hurt bad from my orthotic rubbing my foot (I blame the rain) so that didn't feel so good. The 2nd 10k I ran, was awful too. I haven't had a good ending to a long race in awhile.

    For a full marathon good ending will be not dead and not crawling. I wonder if that will happen.

    Today I ran 3 miles... I wanted to quit at 2. Man I hate the tradmill. It is supposed to rain all weekend during my 3 day weekend. I wanted to get 2 runs in. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate the treadmill too. But sometimes it's a necessary evil.

    I think finishing a race is always a great accomplishment. Even if you have a terrible time, it makes a good story later!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My horrible race about the great race this year did make for a good story.

    ReplyDelete