Monday, February 21, 2011

Blizzard

We got a blizzard tonight at the wrong time. It started at rush hour. Nobody got home before the the storm and everyone tried to leave at work. It was taking people an hour to get out of the complex at work.
My normal commute is 20 minutes. It took Dave 2 hours.  My friend's normal commute is 25 minutes and it took her 3 and a half hours.

I tried to wait it out.

At 8pm 5 of us went to dinner. That was fun. If only I didn't need a storm to force people to have a meal with me.  Leaving dinner wasn't that great. Good thing JD and Adam were there to push my car out.  I think Adam did most of the work but it worked so that was good.

I had to clean off my car before dinner. A skirt was not the best choice for today. At least I had sneakers in my cube so I didn't have to wear 4" heels.  I didn't have my gym bag. Now I will probably bring my gym bag even on days I don't think I'll work out because you never know when you will want some shoes or some pants.
I left for home around at 10.  228 was blocked at one point. The cop came and told me to wait while they scraped it out. I thought it was one tractor trailer. After that guy moved, I saw there were more.
There were many cars and trucks off to the side of the road.  The roads weren't 100% awful so I was able to make due.  I felt like I was going quick.  Then when I turned off of 228, the back roads were awful. Also the visibility got worse. I kind of didn't know where the road was a few times.
I got home after an hour. Then I had to shovel. The top of the driveway only had about 6 inches. That is because Dave shoveled it when he got home from work at 6:30. The bottom had a foot or so.  It was rough to shovel. The snow is really heavy.  While shoveling, two cars headed down my road. Once they got closer and were passing me, I realized one was connected to the other via a chain and it was pulling it.  I am not sure why anyone needed to leave the plan at 11PM and how save that chain would be once they were on real roads. I wish I knew where they were going.

I got inside and Dave informed me that he shoveled the walk too. I didn't believe it because there was so much snow.  I want to know how I didn't know about any snow in the morning.  
They have forecasts now but this morning or even this afternoon there was no warning.

Load a weather website and you see the following.
Looks fun doesn't it.

Did weather impact your night? What did you miss out on doing?
We missed out on having a team building event for NA-YGN Execs. I think some people were a little unhappy to hear that it was cancelled at 5. Later I bet they are really thinking it was good to cancel.

5 comments:

  1. It took me over an hour to get out of the complex!! Do I win a prize for that or something? :-) I wish I would have timed it exactly, but it was somewhere between 1hour and 15 mintues to 1.5 hours. I think I left at the worst time possible. I did get to watch a snow plow back into a jeep... but I don't think anyone was hurt.
    It took about the same amount of time for me to make it the rest of the way home... so 2.5 hours for a usual commute of 20 minutes. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well it took Hilary 2 hours to get out of the complex so apparently you aren't even close.

    Where did the snow plow/truck thing happen?

    Brie took 3.5 hours and doesn't she live near you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shoot... well, that's one competition I’d happily not win.
    The truck was at the Marriott. The jeep must have been coming in to work at night or picking someone up, they were in the lanes opposite me. The truck just backed up really quick to get a good run at the snow and I’m not sure if the jeep was driving towards him or just sitting there.
    She does live near me. Just a little closer to the city.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was wretched. The worst part was that about an hour of it was just a little bit away from my house. Doom!
    At least we made it home safe, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope there is no more snow this year. At least last year when we got tons and tons of snow it was while we slept so we weren't stuck at work.

    ReplyDelete