Friday, March 25, 2011

Friend Friday: Feminism

I have been getting busy and not posting my Friend Friday posts recently.
This week Katy has us all answering questions about feminism.
fem·i·nism Noun /ˈfeməˌnizəm/ 
  1. The advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men

1. Do you think there is an incompatibility between feminism and a love for fashion?
I'm not even sure how they are that much related so I'd go with that there isn't an incompatibility.

2. There is more to each of us than a love for fashion, how do you incorporate every aspect of yourself into your blog?
I write about every aspect of myself. Even if the post is just an outfit post, the outfit is related to what I do. What I chose to wear is based on my activities of the day. Also the background in the pictures shows some of my life. All the pictures of Poly show my life too.

3. With the fashion industry still being a male-dominated profession, how do you think it would differ if women played a larger role?
I have no idea. I'm the worst fashion blogger there is. I don't even know what color a few of my shirts are.
My guess is clothes would be more comfortable, but I tend to find things that are comfortable.  Lots of people I know complain clothes are uncomfortable but I don't find that. I mean a few of the things I own are uncomfortable and I rarely wear them.    I also think there would be more fits. At least in recent years some stores have 3 fits for jeans/pants (skinny, regular, and curvy) but there would be more of this. There would be more length choices too.

4. How is your self-image and the way you carry yourself informed by your beliefs?
Or is it my beliefs informed my self-image and the way I carry myself?  Be confident. Act confident. Dress confidently if that makes you be more confident.   I'm not sure how my self-image has informed my beliefs. There are probably 3 million ways but I just can't think of them now or think of how they relate to feminism.

5. Do you think clothing/makeup/hair helps communicate the truth about yourself or are those things superfluous add-ons?
It is all part of who I am so I guess it helps communicate the truth. I mean maybe the truth is I'm lazy so my hair looks awful but that's the truth.  But I mean sometimes it can over communicate or also lead people to assume things that aren't true. Four or so years ago there was a discussion at my lunch table based on some news article about how women are perceived to be dumber if they are more attractive. Some guys at the table thought that was true. I don't remember all the details of that conversation, but I do remember feeling like I was either thought of as stupid or ugly.

How do you feel about feminism and fashion?

Photo source: http://blogs.mtlakes.org/themountaineer/2010/06/18/is-feminisim-a-liberator-or-oppressor/

6 comments:

  1. Okay, so, redoing my long post to a shorter one. argh.

    So, I think that the original intent of feminism is good, but I think that like any other political or social cause or idea, there are extremists.

    I think that fashion does relate to feminism because we are held to beauty ideals that are often based on sexist views and overly-traditional values. We are expected to wear clothing that emphasize our woman-ness, our sexiness. We are expected to wear clothes that make us look petite, tall, frail, feminine, thin, sexy. There is no consideration for our comfort in most of these. Look at the difference between how men and women dress in the office - men dress in clothes that are primarily comfortable, and clothes that are at least somewhat functional. We wear high heels, dress pants that constrict or skirts that are even more impractical, jewelry, makeup.

    I think that if women controlled more of fashion in history and to the present there would be some more comfortable clothes, but because the images we are supposed to meet are so controlled by gender ideals, I think that women would still fall into the same traps of tighter, sexier, prettier clothing.

    I'm not saying I don't find those beauty ideals pretty, but I do wonder if I would think they were if guys didn't think they were.

    I don't feel comfortable in the same types of clothes as you because they don't make those type of clothes for people with a larger midsection, thick thighs and arms, and hips of doom - at least not in an affordable price range. So I stick to basics. I'm not necessarily happy with it, and I always feel like I'm not living up to what I think is beautiful, but I also feel like I don't have much of a choice, either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you about women controlling things that they would still keep the same things as now because that's what they are used to... that is also why I had a lot of issue answering that question.

    I actually had a lot of issues answering all questions but I have missed too many FF posts recently so I answered them anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never do the FF posts... I am bad with keeping a blogging schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should join the FBFF google group and star doing the posts so then you'd get some posts in. You also don't have to do it every week. This week there are 40. some weeks over 120. but that is out of over 300 members.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That woman was drawn for Westinghouse. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosie_the_Riveter

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mike, I know. That's kind of why I chose that picture to be used but I didn't remember the exact name so I didn't find the original source to give credit and just used some random blog.

    ReplyDelete