Sunday, March 20, 2011

Race for Grace 5k - March 19, 2011

I had to register the day of because I slacked at registering in advance.

DistanceSplitSum
107:1007:10
209:5017:00
308:5125:51
3.1200:5026:41
Avg pace08:33.1


I wanted to beat last year's time, but I did not.  I'm still waiting for official results. Also my start and end timers are probably different than the official time. I think I could get a time of 26:49 but no faster than what I have above.

Last time mile 1 was at 7:40 and Mile 2 was at 10:10... I couldn't believe I was beating my old times so far. But then people walked and my pace was ruined. I couldn't get around them on the narrow sidewalk. Then on turns and such, people were in the way. Then I dropped my mom's glove. I kept thinking how I was going too slow so then I went slower and didn't push. My form was awful the entire race.  I didn't think about it once. I thought about how my shins were hurting just sitting so I need to quit taking 2 weeks off doing the shin exercises.
Accidental Thumbs Up
Timmy took pictures of me while running. He too more pictures of some girl that they thought looked and ran like me. That girl had on short shots and I had on pants.  She was also the girl at the beginning that was telling her friend her shorts were too shot and her butt kept coming out the bottom of it.
Not me but I got lots of pictures of her.
I'm still waiting to see the official results. I couldn't stick around to see anything.

My future plans

  1. Train and run a half marathon and work on running distance
  2. Train for 5k on July 4 following the marathon
  3. lose 5 lbs (of the 8 I gained) to help me run faster
To improve my 5k time
  1. Train for 6 weeks on speed between the marathon and the 5k
  2. Intervals once a week. 
  3. Hill workouts. (like up and back on some major hills)
  4. Concentrate on my arms while running. That will be my focus

What else should I do?


Update: Results are posted: http://www.reflectionsofgrace.org/images/4th_Race_For_Grace/results/IndividualResults_Final_2011.pdf  and awards


153/549      8/63          26:46
There were 549 total finishers with results. I'm not sure if all walkers got timed or not.  Last year there were 417.  Last year I was 144.
There were 63 in my age group.
Last year I placed 7th in my age group (out of 45)



So after I realized my mom's glove fell out of my pocket, I doubled back 20 yards to get it. Then I worked at getting it in my inside pocket so I didn't lose it again. After that I realized that she told me they were dollar store gloves so I should have just replaced it. The act of turning around was probably enough time lost that I could have beat or tied my last year's time. Oh well. I can't win them all. Plus I fear I won't beat any of my times from previous years ever again. 

6 comments:

  1. From that picture, she does run like you.

    Next time I guess just trample the walkers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may not have beat your last year's time, but that's still a great time! Your first mile was smoking! And I like your finishing photo. That's the most important one, in my opinion!

    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, how cold was it?

    (It's hard to tell because there are pictures of both a hairy guy with no shirt on, and you all bundled up.)

    I agree with the above person on that first mile. Keep doing that, and I think with fewer distractions (gloves, walkers, worrying about being too slow) in the second half of the race, you should have no problem beating your PR.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 38 degrees felt like 33 at the start of the race according to accuweather app on my phone
    at the end of the race it was either 38 or 39 but felt like 35.
    Last year it was 45 and felt like 39 shortly before the race started (http://scrapandrun.blogspot.com/2010/03/saturday-5k-at-norwin.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did AWESOME, Colleen! Jeez! I can probably run an 11 minute mile. And then I might die. I'm so proud of you!!!

    ReplyDelete