Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Shopping Desires

Now that the season is changing I have too many shopping desires. Every fall, I remember how I hate fall. I can't buy clothes from nearly as many places because sleeve length is a problem and pants length is a problem.  I think it is much easier to find a skirt that fits well than it is to find  well-fitting pants.  Most of the time it gets cold and I don't wear nearly as many skirts.  I need to/want to wear my skirts more often. This year I have dresses that I wore in the summer. I need to wear those this fall and winter.  The problem it that is is so cold at work.  Today my feet were freezing. I had on pants with kneehighs and my new Hot Kiss shoes. 
Every year I want better pants. This never ends. I buy new pants, but I want pants that fit me better. I have way too many pairs of pants and I only really like how 2 pairs fit me. Now both of those pairs are from Victoria's Secret so you may think I'm golden and can just order pants from them, but I have 3 other pairs of pants that I hate from VS.

Every year I want cardigans. I actually found a few this year for the first time in a long time.  I found 2 last year and already had one. I bought 3 in the spring (even though I really only like the white one).  I just got a red one and a turquoise one at Express. I like them both. I just got a brown one at Target. I hope it washes well.

Every year I wear shirts that I own that the sleeves are too short and then my wrists get cold. Then I get annoyed and don't wear these again for a few months. I always end up wearing them again because I can't remember what I didn't like about them.   I've done some googling and learned that most people like Victoria's Secret sleeve length if they have issues with sleeves.  I have for the most part been happy but the shirt I wore last week is an example of a shirt that didn't work.
Express sweaters have a great sleeve length but the style of their button down shirts is too short the past 2 or 3 years. It is very annoying.  If I find a sleeve that goes down to my wrists usually the arm pits are way too big and messed up.   There are other stores that advertise about their great sleeve length but then I can't get a size small enough. The same thing happens with stores that offer Longs. Most of those stores only start carrying a long in size 8 or something.  It's all very annoying.

So I have all these wants and I've been buying a lot of things lately that aren't even really those things.  I have done a lot more shopping for accessories lately. Necklaces fit from a lot more stores so then I don't get discouraged.
There are lots of times I can't even find shoes. I have seen lots of cute shoes at Forever 21 for such good deals but then they never have larger than an 8 when I ask about the certain styles.

I also have desires for things and I can never find them. I hate that.
I've wanted new bone/ivory/nude/winter white pumps for 3 years. I can never find any. I look every time I'm out shopping thinking that might be the season that sells the color I want.
I want brown print skirts that will go with my new boots. I couldn't find any.
I wanted a yellow shirt so that I would have one for my color rotation challenge so I don't have to skip a color and I couldn't find yellow anywhere. Do you have any suggestions on what to get to go with that? I wear the pants without the blazer and wear a navy shirt or a red shirt.
I have a winter white business suit but I would love to wear the jacket with a dress or skirt and I never find a skirt or dress at the store that goes with it. I don't think I own one now.
For about 5 years I have wanted brown dress pants. I have purchased a few pairs over the years and don't like any of them.  One pair I liked for a little bit but now they are too big. (I bought the smallest size they had at Tall Girl.)
I always get comments from people to just buy things online but I have so much trouble with fit and need to try things on that online shopping doesn't work unless I already know the brand/store.

Sometimes I think I should go shopping in my closet.  I forget about things that I own and every time I buy something new, I bet there is something old that I forgot about in my closet that would match it and look great.

Do you have something that you always want to buy but can never find?  


I hate how I own certain things that I am not even sure what they go with so I never wear them. Sometimes colors go but textures or materials or lengths just don't work out right.
Do you have a favorite go-to item in your closet that goes with almost anything so you don't have trouble pairing things together?

5 comments:

  1. I totally understand being frustrated with shopping. I'm a plus size and plus size fashions in most stores are not generally known for being that great. Probably my biggest want that I can't seem to really find are vintage/retro style dresses. I also have big feet, so that gets really frustrating too. A tape measure and LOTS of online shopping, and trial and lots of error have gotten a wardrobe I enjoy though. As far as deciding if things go together, I don't really worry too much about it. I've decided if I like it, it goes! And I have become a lot more serious about keeping things out of my closet that don't fit/work for me. If it doesn't work, out it goes. I don't know if any of that helps at all. I hope it does though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't have to worry about pants not being long enough if you adjust your idea of what's long enough. In that picture with the round toe shoes at the top, your pants are too long. You needn't dress like a hobo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For pants length most normal stores have 32 inch inseam or 33. then for longs there is 34 or 36. I have a lot of 34" inseam but I can't wear a heel with those. I wore a 1 inch wedge yesterday with 34" inseam and as I walked, you can tell there was a lot of pant leg hovering which means it's too short.
    But then the next jump is 36" and some of those are a little too long but I like to wear a heel. I like to be tall. Ideally I'd love to wear 4" heels everyday to be tall.

    I think I might make a pants length post and take some pictures of where some of the pants hit me.

    Also for pictures I always stretch my pants down because I know they are too short. But then in normal walking, they aren't as long as they appear in the photos.

    Pants are always too big in the thighs if they fit me in the gut.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am always looking for the right length and right rise on pants, and can never find it. It's because I have huge hips and a belly, but my waist is actually small, and I can't wear them at the right height. Also, pants are always either too long or too short. It's stupid.

    I hate having to try to find stuff in the inbetween size. I'm a 14 now, which means I'm not technically "regular" sizing but I'm not "plus" sizing, and since most stores don't do the two sizings mixed, I can't find stuff.
    I also want stuff that doesn't wrinkle. I HATE wrinkles but I also hate ironing.

    I would like:
    Two good pairs of jeans that always look good and don't hurt my belly
    4 pairs of dress pants that don't a) look stupid or b ) fit badly (why do all of the pants have the very top seam that curls inward? It's ridiculous.) AND ones that wash well
    Sweaters that don't ride up with vnecks, that don't also give me funny wings
    A couple of cute cardigans that fit well without making me look sloppy or old
    Shorter sleeved shirts that fit well but cover my arms to the elbow
    Knee height socks that don't cut off my circulation
    Tights and nylons that fit the whole way up and don't give me bumps everywhere because they are too tight
    A pair of really nice, mid-height heel, mid-calf to knee-high, heavy tread boots with round toes and chunky heels, and both laces and a zipper that both work. I don't know if they exist. I want them anyway.
    A pair of pumps that don't hurt my feet or make my ankles look fat
    Some dresses I don't look pregnant in that actually fit
    Camis with straps that are wider and that are long enough not to ride up, but short enough that they don't bunch too much

    I always have a huge list and I never find any of the stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never had a pair of dress pants with the top seam curling inwards. I just have other issues with pants.

    ReplyDelete