Wednesday, October 20, 2010

A Roast

Tonight I made a roast for dinner. I wanted to make it like my mom's. We used her recipe, but we did the cook the vegetables in it option. My mom does it differently. My mom makes separate gravy. I did it this way because Dave wanted it this way. Well it was OK but nowhere near as good as my mom's. I'm a little disappointed.  What's worse is that Dave didn't even really like it.  It came out the way it should have but I would have rather had mashed potatoes than cut up potatoes. I'd rather have corn than the carrots. I'd rather have gravy that is darker and thicker.

The recipe was Simple Pot Roast from Cooks Illustrated. It was in our new cookbook but my mom got it from a Cooks Illustrated magazine.  Too bad the recipe serves 6 to 8 and Dave won't be eating any more. I have a lot of eating to do.
Browning the Roast
I bought the wrong kind of roast. I told the guy what kind I wanted and he didn't seem to think they had it. They had 2 that had some of the right things and some of the wrong things.  I guessed at one of them.
Trying to brown
Ready for the Oven
Almost done. Just finishing cooking the vegetables.
This was the first time I made a roast.  Dave tried twice before and both were awful.

Next time I'm doing it my way. Even though my way is really my mom's way and I don't actually know how she does it.   This took a lot of time to do all day. Then once I was eating it, I thought it was kind of worth it. It probably wasn't.

Food takes too long to cook. I always have leftovers that my husband won't eat. Ingredients are too expensive.

7 comments:

  1. Roasts are weekend foods.

    If you cook the leftovers into new foods, he might eat them. If he's logical and eats fast food, he can't object.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What would you do with the leftovers?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leftovers - i would do pot roast sandwiches, warm the shredded meat up in the gravy, on a roll with some horseradish mayo and cheddar cheese.

    As far as the roast goes, i have an awesome recipe. 1 pot roast, 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup, 1 package of the dry onion soup mix. Mix together, cover roast, in crock pot for 6 hours on low. Best thing you will ever eat

    ReplyDelete
  4. yuck to horseradish mayo.

    My mom uses mushroom soup and that's what Dave specifically didn't want.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Weird funny thing: While I was reading this, someone was eating leftover roast. Made my mouth water.
    I LOVE roast. When you make food and have leftovers and no one wants them, I'll take 'em. We can always use leftovers - I rehash leftovers a lot, and pot roast sandwiches are one of my faves (I love horseradish. so. much. but cheese? yuck.).

    Srsly. I will eat all your food.

    If you don't like eating the pot roast sandwiches with horseradish mayo, mashing the cut potatoes and using them as spread is sweet.

    Maybe what you could do is start freezing the leftovers so you can have them later. It works well with roast and chili, because you can put it into smaller portions and pull it out and just heat it up for small dinners (when you eat at different times than Dave, etc.). We do that sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brie will you be at work tomorrow for me to bring in a container of leftovers for you? I'll eat leftovers but there are just too many for me to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This just came into my inbox. Finally. And yes, as we confirmed, I am at work. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete