Saturday, November 20, 2010

Friend Friday: Copying

This week Katy came up with her questions based on the following:
This past week I encountered the topic of blogger copying twice. The first time was as I scrolled through the numerous bloggers doing the 30 for 30 challenge. I realized that after one person poses with an umbrella dozens others will. Or as Kendi poses in a parking garage suddenly 20 other bloggers appear in a parking garage. And then I was talking with Kinsey about some of favorite blogs and she mentioned seeing a blogger post a DIY recipe and two weeks later another blogger posted a very similar DIY recipe complete with the same wrappings.
That got me thinking... how much of blogging is coming up with your own content and how much is mirroring what we see others doing?
1. What are the 'unwritten rules' about coping content that we bloggers should all abide by?  When you copy say I got this idea from such and such's blog or at least link to their blog/post somewhere in your post.  That's what I do. I read a ton of blogs but read them person at a time so I don't really go through the full time line and see copying. I have noticed some posing but it's fall so posing with leaves is a given and not copying, etc.

2. They say imitation is the highest form of flattery. But when it a post imitation and when is it copying?  I have no idea.

3. Taking another blogger's idea (perhaps for an outfit, or DIY tutorial) is pretty common in the blogging world. Do you think it is necessary to credit the original source? I don't because sometimes you can't remember.  If it's for a tutorial you definitely saved that and should link it.   I even bought makeup that someone talked about on her blog and I spent a half hour trying to figure out who it was because it had been a few months but I found it to link it.  I have no problem linking others blogs.

4. How have you improved your blog by comparing it to other bloggers? Have you made changes due to something you have seen others doing?  I guess I actually made a banner by seeing other blogs with banners. I swore I came up with the 4 picture idea myself but the next day I noticed some blogs that I follow in reader have a banner with 4 pictures. Usually I read in reader and only go to the blog if I want to comment. I guess I half noticed them in the past and didn't realize.   I think a lot of people do copying or slightly copying without realizing.

5. Have you ever had one of your posts copied by another blogger or publication? How did you handle the situation?  No. Or well not that I know of. I never had to handle it and I don't know what I'd do in the situation either.


It's already Saturday. I'm short on time. I probably have more to say. No time.

No comments:

Post a Comment